Exporting a project:

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kumar444
Premium Member
Premium Member

Exporting a project:

Post by kumar444 »

I need to export whole DS project into production environment. Can anyone walk me through the steps required to do so? Appreciate your help.
-------------------------------------------
Kumar
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

Server or Parallel jobs?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is the production project a protected project?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

In our shop, we don't migrate a whole project. We migrate each job uniquely since we have our developpers use a source control system to "version" each job. That way it makes controling your PROD environment better in the long run.

Here is a snipet of code on the server side to load a dsx file. We just dump them into a subdirectory and loop till we get them all.

$sysCommand = ". $dshome/dsenv; /u/InfoServ/applic/is81suite/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/bin/DSXImportService.sh -ISHost $domain:9080 -ISUser JohnDoe -ISPassword XXXXXXX -DSHost $server -DSProject $ds_project -DSXFile '$ds_job' -Overwrite -Verbose";

where $ds_job is your variable containing the dsx file name.

Each DSX contains the designer and executable.
Do not include all dependent items.

We don't compile in PROD. Ever.

Our customers export jobs from DEV via designer, check them into the source control repository, them take them from there and load them into QA. Then after validation we take it from the source control repository into PROD.
kumar444
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kumar444 »

Thanks Guys.

I dont have any idea on production. Its taken care of by prod support.
I want to tell them to create a new project and import a dsx file into it which would be sent by me. I think this is the easiest of all. Are there any drawbacks if i have to send large no. of jobs? Is there any better alternate for this ?
I have a parameter set in the dsx file which would be exported. In case in future if i had to export some more jobs and a parameter set which is altered (adding some new parameters etc) to the previously sent parameter set, how to deal with this ? Please provide me some ideas.
-------------------------------------------
Kumar
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

If it's taken care of by prod support, talk to them about their standard practices. It's their ball game.

Sounds like you may have a DataStage environment in prod, but potentially not a project for your use yet. If they already have the environment, that means they already have a deployment strategy.

Don't reinvent their wheel. They may get a little testy, or worst yet, you'll have to redo your process and that will cost you time.