Job Reset Issue

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DJRH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job Reset Issue

Post by DJRH »

The job is not getting reset after the abort even though the below option is checked

"Add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure".

The error is see in the job is

JobNumber=9, TraceLevel=0/50, JobInstance=1
<<Jobname>> must be reset before it can run

I looked at all the option but does not make sense that why its not doing what it is supposed to do.

Please advise
DJRH
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Adding checkpoints gives the Sequence the ability to be restartable, but whether you can or not depends on the Status it ends up in after a failure. It must be in an "Aborted, Restartable" status otherwise you'll manually need to Reset it before you can run it again.

Assuming here we're talking about the Sequence job itself and not any of the individual jobs it may or may not be running.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DJRH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DJRH »

chulett wrote:Adding checkpoints gives the Sequence the ability to be restartable, but whether you can or not depends on the Status it ends up in after a failure. It must be in an "Aborted, Restartable" status otherwise you'll manually need to Reset it before you can run it again.

Assuming here we're talking about the Sequence job itself and not any of the individual jobs it may or may not be running.
Thanks for your reply,
I understand what you mean.The job is in "aborted/restartable" status and we do not need to reset it to run again the next time when it is supposed to run.

But in my case , the job is in "aborted/restartable" status and when it runs the next day as per the schedule, it does not run and gives the message asking to "Reset" which in case of "Checkpoint" option should not ask to do. The main sequence where the checkpoint is not getting kick off and there are sequence downstream as well but it is not reaching that point.

And yes, we're talking about the Sequence job itself
DJRH
greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by greggknight »

When A sequence of jobs fails , what is required is that you investigate the Job that failed rerun it and fix the issue THEN you can just execute the sequence and it will start at the last checkpoint.(which is the job that failed and then go on to the remainder of the jobs.

It is not meant for jobs to fail and just keep running the sequence day after hoping someone fixed the issue.

Though I use batch jobs to run all my DS jobs and when a job fails in the batch my batch automatically resets the job but the batch remains failed so that it will not run again until the issue is fixed.

You can set individual jobs to not be checkpointed in a sequence if you wish.
That option is there as well.
"Don't let the bull between you and the fence"

Thanks
Gregg J Knight

"Never Never Never Quit"
Winston Churchill
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Your sequence has a job activity set to "Run" rather than "Reset if required, then run", and the job itself is not in a runnable state for whatever reason (probably an Abort on its previous run).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

DJRH wrote:The job is in "aborted/restartable" status and we do not need to reset it to run again the next time when it is supposed to run.

But in my case , the job is in "aborted/restartable" status and when it runs the next day as per the schedule, it does not run and gives the message asking to "Reset" which in case of "Checkpoint" option should not ask to do.
I'm afraid that doesn't make sense, so I'm assuming we're missing some vital piece of information here. If your Sequence was indeed in an "Aborted/Restartable" status, then it really should not give the error that you noted when you next tried to run it. What are we missing here? :?

And just to clarify, this 'schedule' you spoke of - is this main Sequence directly scheduled via the Director? In other words, in cron? And you did not resolve the error when it happened but let the next day's run try to pick up where the previous day's run failed? Or was there some kind of attempted intervention between the two runs?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers