Code Quality Tool for DataStage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsuser7
Participant

Code Quality Tool for DataStage

Post by dsuser7 »

Hi,

Is there any tool which determines the Quality of the Code for DataStage jobs.

The Client insists there is but we are not aware.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Demand to know from the client.

After all, DataStage is a graphical tool - THERE IS NO CODE!!!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

No Ray - the correct answer is "There is no SPOON!"

:D

At one point in time IBM was considering adding a job analyzer that would detect and correct poor job designs. However it was given a low priority and has never made it into the product.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

At all of the sites where my company is engaged a set of standards is established early in the project, and a peer review process, aided by a checklist, is used for design quality assurance.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You can do something about basic coding standards such as naming conventions and use of job parameters. You can try queries in Metadata Workbench that find badly named stages. You can export DataStage projects to XML and use a stylesheet to find bad parameter use or stage variable use. There is nothing automated to evaluate the overall design of a job other than peer review.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you happen to be in the UK you will be able to find any number of peers in the House of Lords.
:lol:
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

My DataStage Analysis Spreadsheet will gather job parameters, stage names, stage variables, and annotations. It counts the number of occurrences of parameters and stage vars so you can identify redundant ones. It also gathers change history, but this relies on an annotation layout convention that we have adopted that looks like this:

Change History
2011-02-18 [1.0] New job (Phil Hibbs)

You would need to change the VBA code to pick up version numbers the way use use them, if you use manual versioning.

here's the thread.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant