Purpose of Telnet Service

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DS_SUPPORT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Purpose of Telnet Service

Post by DS_SUPPORT »

Our IT Team has raised some security concerns about the information published by TELNET banner. They want to know
1) What is the purpose of Telnet Service, Why it is required for IBM Infosphere Server?
2) Can we disable the Telnet Service in the Server?

And My understanding on telnet Service is, it will be used by datastage server when some OS level commands has to be executed. In our project we dont have any such requirement to execute OS level commands. So is it safe to stop the Telnet Service on Datastage Server?

Please Confirm whether my understanding is correct or what is the purpose of telnet Server.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the Engine tier is UNIX, as you have marked your post, there is no telnet service.

If the Engine tier is Windows, the telnet service exists because, historically, Windows did not have a telnet server - could not accept telnet connections.

DataStage itself does not use the telnet service at all. It is there to be used by humans who want a means to access the file system on the engine tier (formerly known as the DataStage server machine).

It is perfectly safe to stop the telnet service and to set its startup mode to manual. All you lose is the ability to establish a telnet connection by that means. However, since you're running version 8, you might also need to consider disabling the MKS Toolkit telnet daemon.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DS_SUPPORT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_SUPPORT »

Thanks Ray