Ignore the stages on the designer palette

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

koojo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ignore the stages on the designer palette

Post by koojo »

I have need where we need to ignore GUI code on what is on the Job designer. We can do this in the sequencer that calls the job using a nested condition and sequencer to meet needs.
With the nested condition and sequencer[set to any or all] the sequencer looks like a messy cobweb. I need to do have multiple condtions in around 50 odd sequencers.

I have tried the switch stage on the designer pallet to take in a different path but the jobs use a SAP extract pack which will not take in an input link.

Was wondering if there is any other way we can have a job not execute what is on its designer pallete using a parametre [Parametre is set to YES execute what is on the designer, If it is set to no then return with Job completed Ok status to the sequencer]. That is if this can be achived through a before job routine, job control..etc.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no way of which I am aware to have stages on the job design area that are not included in the flow of execution. If you need to save them, perhaps during iterative development, park them in a temporary job or shared container.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Ignore the stages on the designer palette

Post by chulett »

koojo wrote:I have need where we need to ignore GUI code on what is on the Job designer.
Perhaps if you explained the "why" of this more fully, what exactly it is you are trying to accomplish rather than how you think it should be done, people here could help or at least come up with a viable alternate approach to your cobweb problem. :wink:

Sounds like this is more about conditionally running jobs in a Sequence job rather than trying to ignore stages inside a PX or Server job, yes?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
koojo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Ignore the stages on the designer palette

Post by koojo »

Here is how the sequencer looks.

S1Extract-->S1ToOracleALL1
S2Extract-->S2ToOracleALL1
S3Extract-->S3ToOracleALL1
S4Extract-->S4ToOracleALL 1Harmonize &SurviveLoad Staging
S5Extract-->S5ToOracleALL1
S6Extract-->S6ToOracleALL1
S7Extract-->S7ToOracleALL1

S*Extract Job --- Extracts from Source and Loads a flat file
S*ToOracle --- Extracts data from the flat file and puts the data in one oracle table. Data from the differnt source systems get into this table.

We extract from 7 different source systems and collect each table data in one Oracle table. Sometimes we have more than one table in an extract which means above digram x 2 times the jobs are called from a single sequencer. Need to make sure that all of the S*Extract and S*ToOracle Jobs execute before we can harmonize and survive the data.

We have 2 to 3 Sources that will no longer exist hence we want to put a switch in place so that S*Extract and S*ToOracle Jobs are not callled when we set up a parametre.
S1=YES Call the S1Extract & S1ToOracle Job
S1=No Do not call the S1Extract & S1ToOracleJob

Thanks for your response. I really apreciate the help this website provides.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The Nested Condition would be the way to go, that and perhaps a Sequencer set to 'Any'. You may be able to make it less 'cob-webby' if you create individual Sequence jobs and conditionally run them from a Master Sequence.
-craig

koojo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by koojo »

Thanks for the idea of creating a sub sequencer. need to see how much time this will take we have 70+ sequencers were this change needs to get into.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If what you currently have is working, it may not really be worth the effort to clean out the cobwebs... unless they are really bad and make maintaining/understanding them overly difficult.
-craig

koojo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by koojo »

chulett wrote:If what you currently have is working, it may not really be worth the effort to clean out the cobwebs... unless they are really bad and make maintaining/understanding them overly difficult.
Still working on one prototype. Sp I guess time and resources available will decide the option we want to take. Thanks for the aditional option you gave us :).