Job from command prompt

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

svhari76
Participant

Job from command prompt

Post by svhari76 »

Hi

I am trying to run the job from command prompt and i am getting this.
Parameter file below is given correct path. Job has been kicked off but getting below error.

Code: Select all

From command prompt

./dsjob -server SERVERNAME-user userid -password pwd -run -param ParameterFile="SrcDir/ETLParamFile.dat" -warn 5000 project JOBNAME

In director logs

JOBNAME..JobControl (fatal error from Msg): Could not create the file: /JOBNAME.wrn
Hari
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Does this job run correctly from the Director and the only time you have an issue is from the command line? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
svhari76
Participant

Post by svhari76 »

batch job calls -->Individual job

No, the batch job is not working from director too.

The individual job runs fine in designer and from director. But when i try from batch job to invoke individual job it fails with the message described in my first post.

Another thing i learnt was, If the batch file is named as 'Batch::ProcessJob' it is not working. If i name it as 'ProcessJob' it works fine from director.
Hari
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why are you trying to create the warning file in the root directory? It's probably correct that you don't have write permission there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
svhari76
Participant

Post by svhari76 »

I am not creating any files. Looks like by default batch file execution causes the creation of the files at root and since my user id doesn't have access permission it is failing.

In execution wise how Batch:: is different from regular job execution?
Hari
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Execution-wise Batch:: is just the same as a sequence job which, in turn, is the same as a server job that contains no stages but only a job control routine.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
svhari76
Participant

Post by svhari76 »

I should be able to pass the parameters to a job from batch Job( can call this as batch job with out naming it as Batch::?) but when i try the same from sequencer to job i am not getting the parameters.

Any clue?
Hari
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, because you have not informed us how you are trying to pass the parameter values. I assume you mean to a sequence, rather than to a sequencer.
svhari76
Participant

Post by svhari76 »

Ok, This might help to figure out the issue.

These are the sequence of commadns i am executing.

Code: Select all

cd /dvl/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine

/dvl/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine>. ./dsenv

/dvl/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine>cd /dvl/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin

/dvl/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin>./dsjob -server SERVERNAME-user userid -password pwd -run -param ParameterFile="SrcDir/ETLParamFile.dat" -warn 5000 project JOBNAME 

JOBNAME above is just job name no directory path.

Am i suppose to be running it from some where else other than /dvl/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin to avoid creating the log/warn files in root directory?
Hari
svhari76
Participant

Post by svhari76 »

:?: Any help would be great :roll:
Hari
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

>./dsjob -server SERVERNAME-user

Try a space between SERVERNAME and the -user.

???
svhari76
Participant

Post by svhari76 »

Please forget about the syntax problems here...this is display/copy paste issue. Otherwise it should have been thowing different syntax related issue.
The problem here is trying to kick off the job, but due to not able to create the .wrn or .log file it fails.
Hari
47shailesh
Participant

Post by 47shailesh »

in dsenv check if any temp directory is set to root.