Intermittent Remote DataStage Connection Issue

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

D0n1117
Premium Member
Premium Member

Intermittent Remote DataStage Connection Issue

Post by D0n1117 »

We are having an intermittent connection error when trying to connect to a DataStage 8.5 server from a remote DataStage 8.5 client. The error that I get is just a generic javax connection error. When I can't connect, I get the error when trying to get the project list from the dropdown (first authentication attempt).

1. I have added the server IP address to the host file on the client.
2. We have the firewall ports open (as we are able to connect intermittently).
3. Even when we can't connect, I can telnet to the port 9080.
4. When we can't connect, I try shortname, FQDN, and IP address in the client. When I can connect, I can connect through any of the above.
5. At all times, I can connect locally from the client on the server with the same credentials even when I can't connect remotely.

Any ideas?
Don
DataStage Developer
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does this occur using the Administrator client too, or just the Designer or Director clients?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chanaka
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chanaka »

Hi Don,

If your DS Server OS is Windows please make sure that your OS partition and DS Installation partitions are not full.

If it is Unix, please check the root partition, tmp partition and DS installation partitions are not full.

We had a similar issue sometimes back as the XMETA repository filled up the whole root partition.

Cheers!

Chanaka
Chanaka Wagoda
D0n1117
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by D0n1117 »

Ray - I just experienced the problem again, so then I checked the administrator client to see if I could log in. I could, so then I tried the Designer client again and was able to log on there as well.

I will keep checking and see if this is coincidental or not.

Chanaka - I checked the partitions and I have plenty of free space.
Don
DataStage Developer
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are your failures occurring soon after re-booting the server? The java.exe takes a while to complete loading into memory (look at the size of it using Task Manager!). Leave the system for 10-15 minutes before attempting to log in to DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.