Repository migration from DB2 to Oracle

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Kirtikumar
Participant

Repository migration from DB2 to Oracle

Post by Kirtikumar »

Hi,

We have DS installed with DB2 repository and due to some client compliance issues, we have been asked to move them to oracle. We are planning to:
1. Take backups on projects, dsparams, uvconfig file
2. Uninstall DS
3. Install DS with Oracle
4. Reimport and copy DS files

Has anyone done this? Is there any other way to do this? Anythings we shold be aware of?
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

Also just wondering if we need uninstall IIS as well for this or we can just re-install the needed components.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You will need to uninstall IIS, either physically or logically. IBM has some scripts (AppServerAdmin.sh and the new Concierge service (migration tool assistant) that may be able to help. Ultimately you need to get all information from your old repository into the new, and there's little or no documentation available about the structures involved.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sreedhar
Participant

Post by Sreedhar »

Hi,

Is that mandate to uninstall the IIS. If I understand it correctly then we are moving from DB2 to Oracle, so even if we don't do that, it should be fine.
Regards,
Shree
785-816-0728
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Unless you're using the new migration tool, you will need to re-install IIS. IBM will only, at least for now, permit use of the new tool in conjunction with the "concierge" service, they say to make sure that the tool is correctly used.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

Hi Guys

Thanks for your responses. We are done with the uninstall and a lot of things we learned - some through DSX and then some through trial and error.

Thought of sharing it.

1. We have done the install with 11G which is not officially supported with 8.1. I think it is supported with 8.5.

2. Our first install was failing in the IIS creation steps. I did not note the exact log file errors, but that was solved when - we changed the owner of executables to root (i.e. the installer user) and permissions all to 777. One of the google search was showing that the IIS install error sometimes comes due to not able to execute the files extracted from the installables.

3. You have to run the Oracle 10G DML file before the install. This was due to we not following instructions. Even when you run those scripts once, it is better to check Create table, create view permissions are available. Second install failed because of create view permission was not there. Our DBA did not run the scripts properly in the first instance. So create view was missing first time.

One more thing when you reboot the machine - When using Oracle, the DB does not start on the machine reboot and so IIS start up process fails. So you have to start the DB and then IIS.

Now just wondering if Oracle can be configured to start up automatically when machine reboots?
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

Sorry forgot to mention one more point:

The jobs were aborting with error 'Job control process (pid XXXX) has failed'. After resetting, the errors shown where:
DataStage Job 44 Phantom 8496
The variable "APT_PERFORMANCE_DATA" is not in the environment.
File name "OSHTRACE_J_All_Ods_UpdateSuccessStatus_Ods_Postpaid3021" too long.
Truncated to "OSHTRACE_J_All_Ods_UpdateSuccessStatus_Od".
DataStage Phantom Finished.

We tried a lot of things to get around this like restarting DS engine, rebooting the machine, recreating the jobs, but nothing worked.

The job has job control in it and when we remove the job control it failed again.

After trying a lot of things, we also saw the director was not showing or logging anything for new jobs. So we changed the RTLogging and ORLogging params to 1 and 0 from 0 and 1 respectively.

After this we ran the jobs and the issue of process id getting killed. Not sure if this solved the issue or our umpteenth times rebouncing the DS and box solved it.

But thought of mentioned it.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Yes, I have a script to startup the Oracle server, WAS, DS server, DB2 Connect, PBS Pro server automaically when machine reboots.