How to Restart Datastage sequence when a job aborts?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Since resources are 'mostly' the cause and it runs fine the next time then any automatic restart of the sequence job will 'mostly' work fine. Me, I would worry about the 'un-mostly' part but it seems like you're not going to. :?

Your questions have already been answered, some parts more than once, not sure how much more 'detailed' they can get unless you seriously expect someone to regurgitate them all back yet again all in one neat and tidy little pablum pile. I for one would hope for a little more effort on your part, this really isn't a tough problem to solve (especially only mostly solve) and you've got all the parts you need to build a solution. Put them together. Or at least try and then come back with specific questions if you still can't figure it all the way out.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

OK... for grins let's recap what we know so far from the thread and the searches I'm sure you've done here:

a. 'Reset if required then Run' in a Job Activity stage does exactly what it sounds like it does, allowing an Aborted job to be rerun without a manual reset first.

b. Enabling 'checkpoints' in a Job Sequence allows it to (if desired) restart a sequence of jobs from the point of failure.

c. Restart is a synonym for rerun. And the way you rerun anything (regardless of tool) multiple times in an unattended fashion is with a loop of some kind. Multiple choices here with yet-another-Sequence-job being the prime candidate mentioned. Use that in conjunction with the Loop Start/End stages, otherwise you'd still need something else to force iteration. You could even use a script for this with 'dsjob' inside a loop.

d. Do not loop forever. Personally, I would suggest no more than two times, exiting after a successful run of the job or failure on the second iteration, meaning the reset/restart did absolutely no good. Of course, you could configure any kind of loop limit in that you felt was appropriate, including notification after it starts to loop 'too long'. How robust and bullet-proof you make it is totally up to you.

Hopefully, all that should get you going, even if it isn't the entire procedure, detailed out step-by-step in glorious minutia. :wink:
-craig

venkatvelpula
Participant

Re: How to Restart Datastage sequence when a job aborts?

Post by venkatvelpula »

Divya,

did you solve this situation? If so, specific details would be really appreciated.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's already an awful lot of "specific details" here. If you have a similar question or issue, why not start your own thread? Then we'll know what version and what specific questions you have.
-craig

venkatvelpula
Participant

Post by venkatvelpula »

version 7.5.2 ..UNIX AIX 5.3
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Please. Start your own post. Explain your problem.
-craig