Reg:Oracle as MetadataRepository for Infosphere 8.1 install

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kirankumarreddydesireddy
Participant

Reg:Oracle as MetadataRepository for Infosphere 8.1 install

Post by kirankumarreddydesireddy »

Can We install Oracle client (intstead server) and can use existing oracle database(which is on another remote server) as Metadata repository? Or do I need to install exclusively Oracle (server) on the same machine where I am installing Infosphere 8.1?

Is there any dependency in any case that I need to bring down Metadata Repository before Infosphere Information server?(in such cases where I need to get down Infosphere Information server)

I am new to administration part of Infosphere.How frequently we will bring down the Datastage server? and why?

Can you please clarify?

Thanks
Kiran
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can install only Oracle client on the engine tier for Information Server. Note that there are special considerations if you want to use an Oracle RAC for your repository.

The correct order for shutdown is engine tier, services tier, repository tier (the last being your Oracle database).

It is rare that Information Server needs to be brought down all the way. To reconfigure the engine tier you only need to shut down that tier; the services and repository tiers may be left running most of the time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kirankumarreddydesireddy
Participant

Thanks Ray

As per my understanding,we will be installing oracle client on the machine
first and then install Infosphere 8.1 information server on the same machine.

Hence,we will be using the same oracle database(on another server) for our metadata repository as wellas to maintain our own project related data(project specific source and target tables).Is that fine?

If suppose we need bring down Datastage server.
Is there any dependency that I need to bring down Metadata Repository first and then Information server?

Thanks
Kiran
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No. If ever you bring down the metadata repository, this is done LAST, after the engine, the node agents and the WebSphere application server.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kirankumarreddydesireddy
Participant

Thanks Ray.

one more question.

Is it advisable to use the same oracle database for our metadata repository(but different schema) as well as to maintain our own project related data(project specific source and target tables)?

Or should we have two different databases each for Metadata repository and project specific (source and target tables)?

Thanks
Kiran
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Either is OK, but don't use the reserved schema name XMETA for your corporate data. I would prefer separate databases, but it will work if they're in the same database.
kirankumarreddydesireddy
Participant

Thanks Ray.

Is it mandatory that we use schema name as XMETA for Metadata repository when we use oracle database?

Thanks
Kiran
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is not mandatory but I'd strongly recommend that you do so, so as not to violate the Law of Least Astonishment when your administrators have to communicate with IBM Support.