Regarding installation of Infosphere 8.1 server edition

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kirankumarreddydesireddy
Participant

Regarding installation of Infosphere 8.1 server edition

Post by kirankumarreddydesireddy »

Hi

We are new to Infosphere Datastage server 8.1 installation.

As far as we understood there are mainly two components

1) InfoSphere Information Server 8.1 (Parallel edition)

2) InfoSphere DataStage Server 8.1 (Server edition)

We are working to install on the 2nd i.e InfoSphere DataStage Server 8.1 (Server edition)

From the dump we have from IBM website,we have downloaded

1) DataStageSvr_v8.1_WinSvr2003.zip

2) DS_license_file.zip

3) DS_QS_Designer_v8.1_Win.zip( for client)

I am not sure on the 3rd.

whether we need to download DS_QS_Designer_v8.1_Win.zip? or InfoSvr_Client_v8.1_Win.zip? to install client.

Can anyone tell me the correct one we need to download to install client ?

Thanks
Kiran
swapnilverma
Participant

Post by swapnilverma »

Hi Kiran ,

1) DataStageSvr_v8.1_WinSvr2003.zip should be sufficient for server and client ...

My Question is are u able to install DataStage Server ...
I have exactly same 3 files but engin and services options are disabled ...

viewtopic.php?p=384069#384069
Thanks
Swapnil

"Whenever you find whole world against you just turn around and Lead the world"
kirankumarreddydesireddy
Participant

Thanks swapnil

We haven't started installing Datstage yet.

I have one more question,do we need to install oracle software before installing the Datastage? becasue in our project we are trying to use Oracle as metadata repository.

Once oracle installed,I am not sure on linking this installed oracle to the metadata repository at the time of installing Datsstage. Can you please let me know.

Thanks
Kiran
swapnilverma
Participant

Post by swapnilverma »

well its good to have oracle installed before installing DS...

but its not mandatory I believe ..

as mentioned before am unable to install DS SERVER as engine and services options are disabled ...

could you plz try & confirm ? ... you can always cancel installation or un install ...
Thanks
Swapnil

"Whenever you find whole world against you just turn around and Lead the world"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Full instructions about what you need to download are on the Passport Advantage and Fix Central sites. There are lots of fix packs and patches for version 8.1, which you will need to get from Fix Central. Let Fix Central do the searching for you.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kirankumarreddydesireddy
Participant

Hi

Can anyone please let me know is it pre requisite to install oracle on my windows 2003 server before installing Infosphere Datastage.....as we are planning to use oracle as metadata repository.......

Can anyone also tell me how to link the metadata repository to use oracle during Infosphere installation process

or Do I need it to link it separately after Infosphere installation is complete?

Thanks
Kiran
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Oracle (10g only) must be installed before Information Server 8.1.

The Information Server software includes scripts for creating the repository database, users, etc.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kirankumarreddydesireddy
Participant

Thanks Ray

Cam I install Oracle client (intstead server) and can use another existing oracle database as Metadata repository? Or do I need to install Oracle (server) on the same machine where I am installing Infosphere 8.1?

Is there any dependency in any case that I need to bring down Metadata Repository before Infosphere Information server?(in such cases where I need to get down Infosphere Information server)

I am new to administration part of Infosphere.How frequently we will bring down the Datastage server? and why?

Can you please clarify?

Thanks
Kiran
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can install only Oracle client on the engine tier for Information Server. Note that there are special considerations if you want to use an Oracle RAC for your repository.

The correct order for shutdown is engine tier, services tier, repository tier (the last being your Oracle database).

It is rare that Information Server needs to be brought down all the way. To reconfigure the engine tier you only need to shut down that tier; the services and repository tiers may be left running most of the time.