How to identify the wave no associated with a log instance

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

satheesh.mohandass
Participant

How to identify the wave no associated with a log instance

Post by satheesh.mohandass »

I have a datastage Parallel job called JOBA. This Parallel job is executed by three seqeuncer lets say SEQA, SEQB and SEQC. All the three sequencers run sequentially and call the parallel job JOBA without an instance id. The seqeuncers run sequentially but it can run in any order could be A-B-C or C-B-A or B-C-A

Since the JOBA was executed three times once by each sequencer and has three instances of job log how can i identify the specific instance of logs that was created by a specific sequencer.

Also as per my understanding when a job creates a new instance of logs while execution a unique no called wave no is associated with the logs. Is there any way to identify the wave no associated with the instance of jobs logs.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Double click on the (qualified) job name in Status view in Director. The Wave number is shown in that detail window.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
satheesh.mohandass
Participant

Post by satheesh.mohandass »

Ray first i want to make sure my understanding is correct. Wave number is a unique number that is assigned to an instance of job run. If a job has been executed 3 times then each instance of job logs has a unique wave no.

If this is correct i would like to know if there is a way to identify the unique wave number associated with any instance of job log. Double clicking on the job name in status view in director provides me the wave number only for the latest execution.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

The wave number is not necessary to identify which job sequence invoked the job.

In the Control Event for starting the job, DSJobController will be populated with the name of the job sequence that initiated the run.

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You have a separate status record for each invocation. Each has its own wave number. As Mike notes, the wave number has nothing to do with the invocation ID. Wave number is only used internally, for example when resetting a job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.