JOB LOGS

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

synsog
Premium Member
Premium Member

JOB LOGS

Post by synsog »

how to see the job logs in datastage other than datastage director.
Last edited by synsog on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why?

That's what the Director client is for.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

To what end? What are you planning on doing with this information?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
daignault
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by daignault »

You can use the dsjob command to capture the log information. You will find that syntax elseware.

There are times when developers do not have access to the production system, thus the log files, due to security concerns. At that point the director can't be used.

I would suggest having an after job routine dump the logs to a temporary file and EMail them out at the developer without access the the production machine.

Cheers,

Ray D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Gosh, does that mean you can use dsjob when you can't access the production system with Director? How does dsjob access the production system that's different?
:?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

My limitation is that the people who see job statuses are not trained in DataStage, let alone given logon authority to Director in production. Without going into the details, on balance I agree with that even after spending three years on a one-week-of-four support rotation, with jobs running at all hours of day and night.

Ray D's suggestion is exactly where I'm going. On any job with fatal errors in the DS logging, I'll use dsjob to extract the messages and write them to the /var/Logs text file. That, with sufficient documentation for the operator, will make it clear who is to be called next. If I had a dollar for every time I was called at 2am for a DB2, Oracle, z/OS or Unix issue... they don't need a DS developer to tell them to call the DBA or OS support guys.

I almost forgot to answer the access question: we run the batch processes under application ids, not human user ids. It works out rather nicely, actually.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872