Client Tier Minimum Specification

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

BritDeveloper
Premium Member
Premium Member

Client Tier Minimum Specification

Post by BritDeveloper »

Guys and Gals,

We are currently upgrading to a 3 tier topology and have found that the datastage Administrator/Designer/Director is much slower to respond in 8.1 than it is in 7.0.

We are currently running the client on Windows XP and 2gb RAM as suggested in the Minimum Specification however I cant find any reference to Client processors (we are currently running with with Pentium 4 2.60ghz). I love the paragraph from IBM that states:
Client tier software requirements (Windows)
Ensure that your computer meets the client software requirements before you install the client tier
A perfect example of our problem is that when any of the 3 applications are started the CPU usage spikes to 100% for about 15/20 seconds and then drops as the login screen reaches.

So my question is .. has anyone else experienced this problem and what spec do you clients run at?

Regards
Claire
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

first thing which comes to my mind is number of hops from client to server. Is the server located far from client?

I am using 3.4 GHz dual core processor with 1GB of RAM for client and it works quite well, although I have disabled all the processes which eats up memory like wallpapers/screensavers etc.

How is the performance after the client is open? 15-20 sec to startup is not bad if performance afterwards is good.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
BritDeveloper
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BritDeveloper »

Thanks for your reply

The Servers are all locatd on a the same LAN with a minimum of 100mbits.

Operation within the application is "OK" however its still not fast as working within the legacy DS7 install.

Ive also found Multi-job compile,imports, exports all a painfully slow process.
Claire
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

if Imoprt, export and multiple job compile is slow then it might be related to server. Hence it should be better to look at server side as well.

In 7.x versions the jobs were located in Universe while in 8.1 its primarily stored in unified metadata repository (XMETA) which may be a factor too. Is it on same server? which database is being used for XMETA? whats the server configuration?

Also you should look at the memory allocated for java on that server.
Priyadarshi Kunal

BritDeveloper
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BritDeveloper »

Sorry I should have beeen more specific.

The actual compiles themselves arent slow, its how long it takes the application to load the prompt screens.

I have run the imports/compiles from the command line using dscc and dscmdimport and the response time is adequate.

I think from an administration perspective we can cope using the command line however this wont be acceptable for developers.
Claire
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ok, then xmeta performance is good,
Also you should look at the memory allocated for java on that server.
what about this one?
Priyadarshi Kunal