Executing SFTP using FTP Plug-In

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

royarellano
Participant

Executing SFTP using FTP Plug-In

Post by royarellano »

Greetings,

I have a parallel job using an FTP Plug-in stage and a sequential file stage. I am trying to get a file from another server. However, I've only been allowed to do so with an SFTP connection. I've tried manipulating the settings in various ways and I am still unable to successfully get the file from the source server. Can anyone provide exact details as to how I can do this?

Thanks.

v/r
R. Arellano
"Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the People." [President John Adams]
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Rumor has it that the 8x version of FTP Enterprise is supposed to be SSHv2 compliant. I'm stuck with 7x and had to get a waiver to not use SFTP.

The only workaround I know of is to run SFTP in a non-DS job and land the files on your local server, then read them with your preferred file stage. That doubles (at least) the I/O processes, but you may not have a choice.

Good luck.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I did get SFTP working with the FTP Enterprise stage in 8.1, but it required a patch from IBM if I remember correctly.

However, regardless of the working FTPE stage, you can always execute a shell script from a job sequence to do the sftp and pull the file back. That's usually faster from a transfer perspective, but it does require you to land a copy of the file.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
royarellano
Participant

Post by royarellano »

FranklinE wrote:Rumor has it that the 8x version of FTP Enterprise is supposed to be SSHv2 compliant. I'm stuck with 7x and had to get a waiver to not use SFTP.

The only workaround I know of is to run SFTP in a non-DS job and land the files on your local server, then read them with your preferred file stage. That doubles (at least) the I/O processes, but you may not have a choice.

Good luck.
Thank's, but we are not able to support FTP Enterprise stage, only the FTP Plug-In stage.
R. Arellano
"Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the People." [President John Adams]
royarellano
Participant

Post by royarellano »

asorrell wrote:I did get SFTP working with the FTP Enterprise stage in 8.1, but it required a patch from IBM if I remember correctly.

However, regardless of the working FTPE stage, you can always execute a shell script from a job sequence to do the sftp and pull the file back. That's usually faster from a transfer perspective, but it does require you to land a copy of the file.
Thank you very much, unfortunately we're not supporting FTP Enterprise stage, just the Plug-In.

I'm thinking it won't happen.

v/r
Roy
R. Arellano