Cascading meta data changes

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

muralisankarr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Cascading meta data changes

Post by muralisankarr »

Hi All,

Need a suggestion on making the meta data changes to the code. The site is a data migration project and we had a new version of the target. Some of the fields in the target application has changed and in all case the length is increased. For example the manufacture code is increased from varchar2 ( 8 ) to varchar2 ( 16 ). At present we are importing the table definitions through OSH and manually changing the metadata on the stages! Is there any better way to do it. Tools like informatica has propagate data type changes option which makes the life easier. Please advise. Other than developing a text processing script over dsx/xml to change the data type do we have any other way to achieve this. Please advise or share your thoughts

Many Thanks
MSR
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

DataStage and Metadata Workbench are very good for searching and finding where the columns get used but not so good in search/replace/propagate changes through. Search and replace on export files may be a quicker way to go.
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

I agree with Vincent. When I had to do this, I implemented the change to the .dsx file of the jobs and re-imported them. It kind of sucks that the table definitions and the jobs are loosely tied in a way, but there must be some good explanation as to why they decided to do that. :)
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted