Want to export a job using command line argument

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

naveen_1985in
Participant

Want to export a job using command line argument

Post by naveen_1985in »

Hi Team,

One of my requirement is to export a job using the command line argument in the unix environment. Is there any way by which I can take a export from the unix environment?
I have already tried it in the DSEngine bin folder(/IIS/IBM/Application Server/../../DSEngine/bin) where i could able to see the dsjob command. This command can be used to take import but you cant export the job.Is there any command that is available in the datastage so that i can take the export of the job in the XML format.
Please help me in resolving the issue...Thanks in advance....

Naveen Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What do you need this "export" for? You may have the istool utility, depending on your exact 8.x release, but that may not help... depending on what you intend to do with this "export of the job in XML format".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
hidenorisano33
Participant

Re: Want to export a job using command line argument

Post by hidenorisano33 »

You can use 'istool' command I believe.
/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Clients/istools/cli/istools export -domain <your IP address> -username <user> -password <password> -archive <yourfilename>.isx -datastage ' -base=<projectname>/<servername> "path/to/job/yourjob.pjb" -includeexecutable'

I have only tried in the Windows client, but it should work in UNIX also.
Refer to help for more, and path/to/job is the folder strucutre within datastage.
TGIF
x.sano
naveen_1985in
Participant

Replies to the Fellow Mates

Post by naveen_1985in »

Many Thanks for the Reply

@Chulet
I am in need of this export because i am developing a tool which is in need of the XML file format ,if i take the job as xml file format it gives me all the information about the jobs ..i am using these tags in the java program using DOM parser and identifying whether a particular job has got default values given in the job level and i am also checking for the naming convention..does it adhere to the rules of the naming convention that is being followed..hope i have anwered to your question

@hidenorisano33
I will try the istools and check whether it is working or not ..in case i could not able to i wll let u know

Thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, istool output isn't in XML format AFAIK and even if it was it's not the format you're expecting. Does this need to be done on the server side? You can do this using dscmdexport from any client pc.
-craig

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

istool outputs in dsx format and compresses the data.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting... that wasn't the impression I've gotten from other posts here and never had a chance to actually play with it myself. Good to know. Is the 'compress' part optional? A 'standard' compression algorithm?
-craig

asingh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asingh »

I wasn't aware of a relationship between compressed dsx = isx either but it makes sense considerin gthe file sizes produced.

Currently use this method to take server side backups in our Prod and Dev environments and have tested restoration successfully. All in all a pretty good method and removes reliance on a client session.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Rename the .isx file to .zip and standard uncompression programs will expand it.
naveen_1985in
Participant

Post by naveen_1985in »

Hello ...I am lost ..i could not understand ..can anyone please write me the command for importing the datastage jobs in the XML file format through Unix machine ..please

Thnks in advance...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There isn't one. You can only do that from the Client GUI as far as I know. Did you mean to say "export" or is importing back the ultimate goal?
-craig

probal
Participant

Post by probal »

@asingh Did you suggest to rename the .isx file after generation or put the .zip extension in the command itself.

I can export the jobs using istool command with .isx or .dsx format.but not been able to import those by designer.It said that the file is of unsupported type & can't be imported.
Probal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You cannot export jobs 'in dsx format' using istool, I would guess that means you are specifying that as the extension rather than .isx and thinking the format is changing to match? :?

You are correct, however - you must use istool for the import of these files as well, the client tools only support the dsx and xml formats.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The next version will have server-side export and import.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
prasson_ibm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasson_ibm »

ray.wurlod wrote:The next version will have server-side export and import. ...
Is istool available in 8.0 window version of datastage..or we need to install some patch for that..??