text editor

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hitmanthesilentassasin
Participant

text editor

Post by hitmanthesilentassasin »

I wish there was a text editor to manage, view or edit files so that its easy to manipulate the files. Am I missing out on something that I dont know?
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Are you looking for vi ?

If you have x-Windows enabled, you have loads.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There are all kinds of "text editors" out there, as noted on the UNIX side things like "vi", "vim", "emacs", etc. I personally use UltraEdit on the client side.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I too prefer UltraEdit. You can access files on the server (transfer to and from the client).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsexplorer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: text editor

Post by dsexplorer »

I can recommend using WinSCP which is an open source free SFTP client and FTP client for Windows. It has its (basic) text editor too.
Regards
DSExplorer
hitmanthesilentassasin
Participant

Well, I was looking for an editor integrated within datastage. I used to use VI editor in all my earlier projects and didnt feel the need of one. But in the new project its a secured and restricted environment where in I cant access anything outside datastage. So, Was just checking if there was any editor withing ds. we are allowed to view a sample of data but not to view complete data or edit it within ds.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Well, yes there are. There is a line-based text editor (ED) that can be used from within the Administrator client command window.

There is also the Alternative Editor (AE, the original Unidata line editor) but that requires some setup.

On UNIX platforms there is an interlude to vi called UV.VI (but the screen management escape sequences play havoc with the Administrator client command window rendering this option unusable via that means).

And, of course, you can start a shell (such as SH) from the DataStage shell (dssh).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hitmanthesilentassasin
Participant

Ray you know so much more than me - Thanks