Adding PX to Server DataStage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

G SHIVARANJANI
Participant

Adding PX to Server DataStage

Post by G SHIVARANJANI »

Hi,

Can any one help me with the steps to be followed, when we add a parallel job license to Server DS .

How do we go ahead ? what will be the impact on the existing server jobs ??
G SHIVARANJANI
Participant

Re: Adding PX to Server DataStage

Post by G SHIVARANJANI »

Hi,

I have seen in many of the posts , that the server jobs will not get effected,

If any of the server jobs have performance issue, then those jobs can be re build to get an equivalen parallel job, else the remaining server jobs can be left as is.

The server jobs will perform much more better than, what they were previously due to the addition of PX edition liscence.

Please correct me if i am wrong

Thanks with anticipation
Shivaranjani

G SHIVARANJANI wrote:Hi,

Can any one help me with the steps to be followed, when we add a parallel job license to Server DS .

How do we go ahead ? what will be the impact on the existing server jobs ??
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You were doing fine right up until this point:

"The server jobs will perform much more better than, what they were previously due to the addition of PX edition license."

No. As you noted, at a high level Server jobs will be unaffected. Now, if you start running a crap-load of PX jobs on the box then the Server ones may run slower, but that's not simply because of the "addition of the PX edition license" but because of the new load (or overload) on the server which could be an issue without bringing PX into the picture.

And if you mean the Server jobs "will perform much more better" after being converted to PX jobs, then that's debatable, but in general - yes. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Please delete your duplicate post in the other forum, posting the same question multiple times just upsets the natives.

You can do that (delete any of your own posts) as long as there have been no replies to it. Hurry! Go now before it's too late! :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
G SHIVARANJANI
Participant

Post by G SHIVARANJANI »

Thank you craig,

I have deleted the duplicate reports,

Ito kn would also like ow , what all necessary steps i ll have to be careful about while PX liscence is been added to Server.

Thanks and regards
Shivaranjani

chulett wrote:Please delete your duplicate post in the other forum, posting the same question multiple times just upsets the natives.

You can do that (delete any of your own posts) as long as there have been no replies to it. Hurry! Go now before it's too late! :wink:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Nothing at all.

Afterwards, however, you will need to be careful not to start too many jobs at the same time - parallel jobs generate rather more processes than server jobs do.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I am assuming you are on version 7 Server Edition and you are upgrading to version 8 Enterprise Edition and thus moving to the Information Server (that's how you get the best upgrade deal out of IBM):
1) Solution Architecture: what does your Information Server architecture look like when you add the Metadata Server? This adds a WebSphere Application Server and database server so you may need to think about more hardware or more RAM on the existing hardware. You will certainly need to think about more RAM per CPU when going from Server to Parallel jobs as Parallel jobs love RAM and need lots of RAM per parallel node.
2) What jobs need to be converted from Server to Parallel? I wouldn't convert anything that runs in less than 5 minutes.
3) Look at the Version 8 benefits and how to merge them into your job standards and software development lifecycle. Parameterset files, the DataStage Manager tool for migrating code, the new Connector stages, the improved search functions and Metadata Workbench data lineage and impact analysis are all things to be considered.