Job dependancy between different DS projects

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

urma
Participant

Job dependancy between different DS projects

Post by urma »

Hello All,

In need your advice on something I'm working on. I need to create an Job sequence in the DataStage project A but this needs to trigger a job which is in the DataStage project B. At present I use to do this putting a flag in a table and I have a Unix Shell that looks for the flag and executes the job existing in project B. Is there a way to put a dependency between jobs that reside in different DS projects?

I'm sorry for my bad english.

Thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's nothing wrong with your English.

Alas, there is no way to include cross-project dependencies, other than to design it in, as you have done.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could use dsjob rather than polling for a flag in a table to run the job in the other project but it's still a form of "coding in" something.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
urma
Participant

Post by urma »

Thanks for your response!!

I will keep this topic open for one or two days until I mark this as Resolved. I would like to know some other approaches for this design.
ArjunK
Participant

Post by ArjunK »

My 2 cents..Ideally you would want to have an external scheduling tool handle cross project/application scheduling and dependencies
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure, an Enterprise Scheduler would handle something like this quite easily. :wink:
-craig

Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

You can use the enterprise scheduler like 'Autosys' / 'Dollar Universe'
to achieve this functionality

Regards
Sreeni
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

If you are looking for different approaches, you could also consider creating a combination of touch files and "Wait for file Activity"
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
Abhijeet1980
Participant

Post by Abhijeet1980 »

Dear All,

In my opinion, it isn't a good idea to segregate the operational jobs using projects.

The concept of project was introduced to segregate the usage and certainly not for segregating the business streams. There is no point in going further and try something new. This is certainly not innovative perhaps contradicting to our basics. :(

Many regards,
Abhijit Gaikwad
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:?

That's great and all, though I don't really agree with your conclusion. Never mind the fact that the post is about how to establish dependancies between already established projects, not one seeking advice on how to set up new projects.
-craig

raji33
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Job dependancy between different DS projects

Post by raji33 »

urma wrote:Hello All,

In need your advice on something I'm working on. I need to create an Job sequence in the DataStage project A but this needs to trigger a job which is in the DataStage project B. At present I use to do this putting a flag in a table and I have a Unix Shell that looks for the flag and executes the job existing in project B. Is there a way to put a dependency between jobs that reside in different DS projects?

I'm sorry for my bad english.

Thanks in advance
Hi Urma,

May i know how did you really done this job , i mean how did you build the sequencer can you please explain the design to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.