Job Scheduling is not functioning.

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jayeeta_aec
Participant

Job Scheduling is not functioning.

Post by jayeeta_aec »

Hi,

What can be the reason for scheduling being not in action for a job in Datastage Server edition 7.5.1A ? (Operating system is UNIX). Can it be realted to Operating system, though the scheduling is done from Datastage Director?`

Thanks in advance.

SR
Jayeeta Dutta
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What exactly do you mean by 'not functioning' or 'not in action'? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Do you have permission to schedule a job at the first place? Did you check the crontab @ UNIX level, after scheduling the job from director?
Kandy

Post by jayeeta_aec »

chulett wrote:What exactly do you mean by 'not functioning' or 'not in action'? :? ...
Though it was scheduled, the job isn't being triggered at the scheduled time. So we have to trigger it manually.
Jayeeta Dutta
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Was this a recurring schedule or a one-time one? The former uses 'cron' while the latter uses 'at'. Can you post the appropriate entry from the scheduler itself, cron or at? Meaning nothing from Director but rather from your O/S.
-craig

jayeeta_aec
Participant

Post by jayeeta_aec »

chulett wrote:Was this a recurring schedule or a one-time one? The former uses 'cron' while the latter uses 'at'. Can you post the appropriate entry from the scheduler itself, cron or at? Meaning nothing from Direc ...
As the job is supposed to run every day at a specific time, it should be using 'cron', I guess. I checked with UNIX. Cronjob is fine as far as I can make out. And for your information, this issue was faced just yesterday, which was not in place before that.
Thanks for ur constant help Creig.
Jayeeta Dutta
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Did you overwrite the existing scheduled job yesterday (during some enhancements migration)? If yes, can you delete the cron entry and reschedule?
Kandy

Post by jayeeta_aec »

kandyshandy wrote:Did you overwrite the existing scheduled job yesterday (during some enhancements migration)? If yes, can you delete the cron entry and reschedule?
We didn't overwrite the scheduled job. We didn't even reschedule it to stop for an opinion. And won't the crontab file be overwritten if we reschedule the job, say in a different time?
Jayeeta Dutta
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It couldn't hurt to Unschedule the job and then Add to Schedule again. If there's any doubt about what it did, do a "crontab -l" from the command line as the scheduling user and post it here.
-craig

kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

[quoteWe didn't overwrite the scheduled job. We didn't even reschedule it to stop for an opinion. And won't the crontab file be overwritten if we reschedule the job, say in a different time?[/quote]

Yes and No. If you reschedule a job, then cron tab entry is taken care. But if you accidentally overwrite an existing scheduled job, it does not use the existing entry in crontab. In that case, we need to delete the cron entry and schedule the job again. I guess, the link is broken or something happens internally when the job is overwritten.

Again, this is specific to places where i have worked... or may be with release 7.x
Kandy

Post by jayeeta_aec »

kandyshandy wrote:[quoteWe didn't overwrite the scheduled job. We didn't even reschedule it to stop for an opinion. And won't the crontab file be overwritten if we reschedule the job, say in a different time?
Yes and No. If you reschedule a job, then cron tab entry is taken care. But if you accidentally overwrite an existing scheduled job, it does not use the existing entry in crontab. In that case, we need to delete the cron entry and schedule the job again. I guess, the link is broken or something happens internally when the job is overwritten.

Again, this is specific to places where i have worked... or may be with release 7.x[/quote]

If I undersatnd properly, what u meant with 'the job is overwritten' is recompiling the job after any alteration. Am i correct?
Jayeeta Dutta
jayeeta_aec
Participant

Post by jayeeta_aec »

chulett wrote:It couldn't hurt to Unschedule the job and then Add to Schedule again. If there's any doubt about what it did, do a "crontab -l" from the command line as the scheduling user and post it here. ...
Creig i have done Unschedule-Add to schedule on that job. Let's see what happens. I will let u know. In the mean time, can u plz tell me what the difference b/w 'Rescheduling' and 'Unschedule-Add to schedule' a job is.
Jayeeta Dutta
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

"overwritten" - Assume a job X in production environment which is scheduled. Meanwhile, business requested some enhancements to job X, which will be developed in DEV environment, tested and then migrated to other environments including production. Migration to production environment can be done in 2 ways. One is to delete job X in production environment and then import the enhanced job X from DEV. Other way is to OVERWRITE the existing job X while importing the enhanced job. Got it?
Kandy

Post by jayeeta_aec »

kandyshandy wrote:"overwritten" - Assume a job X in production environment which is scheduled. Meanwhile, business requested some enhancements to job X, which will be developed in DEV environment, tested and then migrated to other environments including production. Migration to production environment can be done in 2 ways. One is to delete job X in production environment and then import the enhanced job X from DEV. Other way is to OVERWRITE the existing job X while importing the enhanced job. Got it?
Thnx kandy for ur patience.. :) ...i got it.. but u invoked another query in my mind. In either way of this migration process, crontab entry is going to be affected. Isn't it? Or do u mean it would get affected only with the "OVERWRITE" process, u mentioned.
Jayeeta Dutta
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

May be... But i have seen issues only when we did overwrite :)
Kandy