Failed to connect

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsinfo
Participant

Failed to connect

Post by dsinfo »

Hi,
I created a user from web consol, gave all suite and component roles, saved and closed, but I am not able to login into designer/director, the error I am getting when trying to login with new userid and pswd is
"Failed to connect to Datastage server: servername, project:projname (Username and/or password incorrect (80011)).
Please let me know why its not working.
Do I need to create the user in unix also? or if I am missing something else. Please help.

Note: I can login into web console using new userid.

Thanks.
Oritech
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Oritech »

Checked you have correctly mapped all the users to dsadm in webconsole....
dsinfo
Participant

Post by dsinfo »

That did the magic, Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... and now every user is a DataStage Administrator. Did you really want that?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsinfo
Participant

Post by dsinfo »

No, I really dont want that, please tell me how can I resolve my issue.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Set up your users as Information Server users and give the product role DataStage User to each (apart from the ones you want to be DataStage Administrators). Then, using the DataStage Administrator client, and logged in as an administrator, allocate the Developer role to each of those users.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsinfo
Participant

Post by dsinfo »

Hi,
Where I need to set up new user as Information Server user, I dont see this option in web console. Do I need to create a unix id where DS is intalled. Please let me know.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Creating a UNIX id is optional. On the Users page there is a menu on the right hand edge, one option there is Add.
dsinfo
Participant

Post by dsinfo »

Hi,
I do not see check box which says Information Server user.
In web console I went to user, on right hand edge I see 4 options (New User, Open User, Add Roles to Multiple Users, Delete), when I select a user and click on 'Add Roles to Multiple Users' I get to a page where on right side I have Suite and Suite Component. Under Suite there are 2 options (Suite Admin and Suite User) and under Suite Component there are multiple roles.
Please guide me exactly which options I need to select to have a user access to only Director and Designer without mapping the new user to dsdam.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sorry, it's New (not Add). This gives you a new dialog in which you define the user's contact characteristics, and in the middle of which you assign Information Server suite roles and product roles. You need to create your users as suite users (rather than administrators) and DataStage users (rather than administrators). Then proceed as outlined above.
Oritech
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Oritech »

if resolved, can happily mark it on the post as well :D
dsinfo
Participant

Post by dsinfo »

I really appreciate you for your help.
In web console under Domain management ->DataStage Credentials ->Open Configuration :
in Server Configuration if I select 'User Registry between IBM Information Server and DataStage Server' then my new user id is not working, otherwise its working.

In which case I should select ['User Registry between IBM Information Server and DataStage Server'] this and in which case I should not.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In the short term, choose the one that works. Then you have time to study how to configure the alternatives.
dsinfo
Participant

Post by dsinfo »

Thanks a lot for all your help.