generate HTML report in datastage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's a link to his website in his 'signature', go there and then to his Tips page.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I think there is a zip file with a bunch of these bat files. You need to edit each of them to see what they all do.
Mamu Kim
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

So I did a search of DSXchange :wink: , downloaded Kim's utilities, and edited DsJobReport.bat for my local environment.

Questions:

1) Does dsdesign.exe tolerate long file paths as long as they are properly quoted? After editing Kim's batch file, here is my command line:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage7.5.1\dsdesign.exe" /H=myhost /U=myuserid /P=mypassword UAT_MyProject MyJob /R 
/RP="C:\Documents and Settings\sbass1\Desktop\My Documents\My Documents\MyProject\Documentation\Job_Reports\UAT_MyProjec\"  
dsdesign is complaining about the RP path, but I can't see anything wrong with it, and it's properly quoted as a long path containing spaces.

2) Our jobs are promoted to TST and UAT as readonly. Is there any way to suppress the "'MyJob' is Read Only. Any changes you make cannot be saved" dialog window? I'm just trying to create a job report, and don't want to click "OK" on hundreds of dialog windows.

Thanks,
Scott
Some people are the Michael Jordan's of Datastage. I'm more like Muggsy Bogues :-)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

1) It should work fine with them, as noted. Are you sure it should have "My Documents" twice in the pathname? The other thing is to go back to the "8.3" short file name for the problematic pieces. For example "My Documents" is probably "MyDocu~1".

2. I've never actually run it outside of dev, thus not against read-only jobs. It pops up that dialogue box every time you run dsdesign.exe from the command line? :?
-craig

sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

Thanks Craig. As always, much appreciated.

1) Yes, the double "My Documents" is correct. I put a lot of stuff under "My Documents", including "My Documents" :) So it's a directory I created. I'm sure the path is correct - if I find dsdesign.exe doesn't handle quoted long path names, I'll either use short names or change it to C:\Temp or somesuch.

2) <rant> Grrrrrr...who DOES the usability testing on this product? Ah, ok, I feel better now </rant>

Ok, I'll have to hack Kim's batch file (like break it into two parts) to get the list of jobs from UAT but generate the job report from DEV. We have hundreds (??? - well, a lot) of test/junk jobs in DEV I wouldn't want printed.

But it would be real nice if dsdesign would just ignore the readonly attribute when generating a job report from the command line.
Some people are the Michael Jordan's of Datastage. I'm more like Muggsy Bogues :-)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

1) That's been my typical 'solution' as well, I tend to keep output directory names short and near the root, typically right under C:\Temp as well. :wink:

2) Ah... know what you mean about the crap inherent in a dev project, that sounds like a practical solution to the problem provided the dev job isn't currently undergoing... improvements.
-craig

mbreion
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mbreion »

sbass1 wrote:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage7.5.1\dsdesign.exe" /H=myhost /U=myuserid /P=mypassword UAT_MyProject MyJob /R 
/RP="C:\Documents and Settings\sbass1\Desktop\My Documents\My Documents\MyProject\Documentation\Job_Reports\UAT_MyProjec"  
dsdesign is complaining about the RP path, but I can't see anything wrong with it, and it's properly quoted as a long path containing spaces.
I had the same error recently (v11.3)... Just removed the "" in end of the path in RP...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's a useful tip. Thank you.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.