Contextual Help (Help Button) doesn't work

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asorrell

Contextual Help (Help Button) doesn't work

Post by asorrell »

Ok- I've tried searching for this issue, but unfortunately about every third post in the database has " Please Help" in it... so searches for anything with the word "help" weren't returning anything useful.

On release 8.1 the contextual help button in the designer (the one inside various stages, etc) isn't working - it is trying to access a web page with the following address (server name modified):

http://servername:9080/infocenter/topic ... Stage.html

Checking the server doesn't locate any subdirectory called infocenter anywhere on the server. Has anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix it?
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Possibly related to this issue

Make sure you have access to this pathname on your Information Server server, and have credentials to use reporting.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shareeman
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by shareeman »

Hello
Can you tell me if you did manage to resolve this issue and how?
Does the patch JR31951 need to be downloaded and installed on the DS Clients and DS Server. Is it true of Linux Server installations as well?

Kindly Update this topic

Many Thanks
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Unfortunately I can't say specifically what fixed the problem. I can just now say that we no longer have the problem.

Since the problem occurred, we had to uninstall and re-install DataStage on that box to turn on NLS. We then installed several patches including the 8.1 documentation patch you referred to (JR31951).

I checked afterward and we're no longer having the problem. Can't determine now if the Doc patch or the re-install fixed it. If you have the Doc patch, I'd say try to install it and see if that fixes the situation. If it does, then please post here. If not, then it was probably the re-install that resolved the situation.
Andy Sorrell
shareeman
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by shareeman »

Thanks for the update, I've since been informed that the patch pertains only to PDF files and hence is irrelevant to the problem at hand (HTML docs). I will try a couple of other things and update the post if successful.
shareeman
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by shareeman »

Quick Update....
IBM have reproduced the same problem and reckon this 'could' be a bug that affects Linux/Unix installations only (Windows is OK).
I'm hoping to hear back from them this week and will keep this post updated.

Given that IS8.1 has been around for a bit, what i cannot fathom is that
if this is indeed a bug that affects all Linux/Unix deployments, Surely someone has reported this before?!?
or does noone ever use the Help files as a reference!!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can always open the compiled help module (*.chm file) in the C:\IBM\InformationServer\Clients\Classic folder on the client machine.
DSDesign.chm for Designer, for example.

But it's nowhere as useful as the pre-version 8 help - my favourite portals (like "BASIC Tasks") seem to have gone.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shareeman
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by shareeman »

belated update

IBM did provide us with a fix for this. Problem resolved.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Could you please supply details for those that could use them? Was it a patch? A configuration change?
Andy Sorrell
shareeman
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by shareeman »

This was an issue that IBM engineers were able to reproduce within their own labs for an IIS 8.1 Linux deployment (Windows worked ok).

A patch was provided that fixed the issue.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Patch number, please.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
shareeman
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by shareeman »

I don't know what the Patch number is at this point

I'm told the patch supplied was a cumulative fix and not specific to this problem. Upon deployment, this problem went away along with a couple of other issues being dealt with by the WAS team.

I will supply further information as and when i receive it
jtenshaw
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jtenshaw »

Do you know the patch number yet?

Thanks