FTP - Internal error: function 'utf_to_row()' failed

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

FTP - Internal error: function 'utf_to_row()' failed

Post by devanars »

Hi

I am getting this error Internal error: function 'utf_to_row()' failed when executing the job which was designed to read a dataset from Mainframe server to unix with ascii mode in 8.1. any help is appreciated. Thanks
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I'm completely guessing here (hopefully an educated guess). It sounds like you aren't using a CFF (Complex Flat File) stage to read the data. The error message is somewhat NLS related (UTF8 is an NLS Map). It is complaining that it can't convert the row to UTF8.

My best guess is that you are using a sequential file stage to read the file. Could you confirm what stage you are using?

Because files from the mainframe are typically in EBCDIC, they need to be read using a CFF stage. If this is the case, I'd also recommend loading your CFF column definitions from a COBOL Copy Book (ask the Mainframe developer for it). That will insure the columns are mapped 100% correctly. You can import the copy book by right clicking on DS table definitions in the developer tool and selecting Cobol import. That puts the definitions under a COBOL sub-heading. These can then be loaded into your CFF stage from the columns tab.

If my assumptions aren't correct, please post more details. If they are, please let us know if this fixed the problem.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devanars »

Sure I am using only CFF stage to read files. is there any second thought!

Thanks
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

You'll need to post more details.

What options are you using on your CFF stage?

Did you use a COBOL copybook to load the definitions or did you type them in manually?

Basically you have some sort of data type mis-match where it doesn't understand the data it is trying to import.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020