Project Name Character Limit

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

prasad111
Premium Member
Premium Member

Project Name Character Limit

Post by prasad111 »

Hi,

Do we have any documentation for the limit for the length of the project name?
In 7.5.1 the maximum limit(allowed) is 18 characters
In 8.x the maximum limit(allowed) is 40 characters

Your replies are highly appreciated.
Thanks
Prasad
Last edited by prasad111 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Where did you get those numbers?

I know why the 18 character limit exists, but it's not directly documented anywhere. It stems from the fact that the local repository is a schema in the DataStage Engine database, which is compliant with SQL 92 standards, which include an 18 character limit on schema names. ODBC 3.0 has the same limit.

I have not seen mention of a 40 character limit in version 8 and would be surprised if it were other than 18 characters, for the reasons given above. Or, if it were, there's probably some additional requirement for uniqueness in the first 18 characters.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
prasad111
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasad111 »

Thanks for the info.

I got those information by entering those many characters while creating the job.
In Version 8.x in table the datatype is Nvarchar2 .
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I tested this myself out of curiosity because I had just read in an a IBM Redbook (Parallel Framework Standard Practices, which references version 8.1) that the project name limit is 18 characters.

I can confirm that the limit in 8.7 is 40 characters. This limit is documented in the Planning, Installation, and Configuration Guide. I added a project named tmp05tmp10...tmp40 and noticed a few things:

1. If you attempt to type more than 40 characters, DS Administrator won't allow you to type any further; it just beeps at you.

2. A project with 40 characters is created successfully and visible on the operating system.

3. Another project with only the final character different is also created successfully. The project name uniqueness extends across all 40 characters.

4. The DS Administrator Projects tab displays the full project names and all 40 characters are visible if they contain mostly narrow, lowercase characters. If they contain uppercase, wide characters (like 'MMM') then I only see about the first 32 characters.

5. The other client login interfaces chop off more of the project names, and it varies according to how long your server name is and what types of characters are in your project name. I can only see the first 24 to 33 characters of each project name at login.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius