Job Multiple Instance Fail

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

It seems to me that you understand how multi-instance is supposed to work.

It still sounds more like the auto-purge bug to me. When you tested with auto-purge turned off, did you turn it off at the individual job level? Turning it off at the project level has no effect on pre-existing jobs.

Mike
marcelo_almeida
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by marcelo_almeida »

Mike,

I turned off the level of project in Administrator.
How can I do it a level of job?
When I open the Director, the box "Auto-purge" is always unchecked.

Thanks
Marcelo Almeida
antoniomarcelo@gmail.com
Brazil
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

The job inherits its auto-purge settings from the project when the job is created. The property appears to remain unchecked when auto-purge was inherited from the project. Quick way to see if auto-purge is actually happening... go to the director log for the base entry of your multi-instance job (the one without an invocation id). Look for log entries containing auto-purge. For example: "Project-level auto-purge, XX log entries removed". Should be about the last log entry.

Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Mike wrote:The property appears to remain unchecked when auto-purge was inherited from the project.
:? That's... not really true unless this is changed behaviour in the 8.x version. What I've seen pre-8 is auto-purge always checked when it is on, regardless of how that was set - manually or via inheritance. Unchecked is off. Nothing in-between.

If one's auto-purge settings are "always off" at the job level, to me that implies that that is the default at the project level. As noted, the project level default only applies to newly created / imported jobs, on-the-fly changes to it do not affect existing jobs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

New behavior in 8.0.1... just noticed it when I went to check it in my own jobs. I have jobs that auto-purge and have that property unchecked at the job level.

Since it appears to be off, I'm not sure how you would actually turn it off at the job level in 8x... maybe check it and change... then uncheck it again?

Mike
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

That's not the only new behavior. Out of curiosity, I played around with some settings...

Changes in auto-purge settings at the project level now apply to pre-existing jobs.

To disable auto-purge at the job level: disable it at the project level.

It looks like it really can't be disabled at the job-level when it is enabled at the project level. You can enable it at the job level and spin up to 99 job runs or 99 days, but that's about it... The reverse is no problem... it can be disabled at the project-level and enabled at the job-level.

I don't have any multi-instance or auto-purge patches in my installation, so I have no idea if this new behavior is working as designed.

Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sheesh... will have to keep that in mind, it seems, when people post 8.x questions on this topic. :?
-craig

marcelo_almeida
Premium Member
Premium Member

The support of IBM suggested a workaround that worked perfectly.

Follow the link:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... -8&lang=en

Thank you everyone for your help!
Marcelo Almeida
antoniomarcelo@gmail.com
Brazil
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... this has been discussed here before. So, I assume you enabled the RTLogging option, yes? Did you also end up running the mentioned script to create the auto-purge task?
-craig

marcelo_almeida
Premium Member
Premium Member

No, I just modify the following 2 lines in the DSParams file:

RTLogging=1
ORLogging=0
Marcelo Almeida
antoniomarcelo@gmail.com
Brazil