Scheduling DataStage Job from ASP.net

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

khanbull
Participant

Scheduling DataStage Job from ASP.net

Post by khanbull »

We have DS runnig in Unix Env. and I have a job that I need to schedule through a dot net web application.

I don't want it to run it right away rather let user choose a date through the web and I want to schedule this job on that date after hours. I want to automate it. My question is what interface that I can invoke from ASP.ent to have an entry on the scheduler or some way to do this?

One possibility is to send a file from Web server to the DS server and have the Job wake up and when sees the file then invoke it. But in this case
s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Scheduling DataStage Job from ASP.net

Post by s_boyapati »

khanbull wrote:We have DS runnig in Unix Env. and I have a job that I need to schedule through a dot net web application.

I don't want it to run it right away rather let user choose a date through the web and I want to schedule this job on that date after hours. I want to automate it. My question is what interface that I can invoke from ASP.ent to have an entry on the scheduler or some way to do this?

One possibility is to send a file from Web server to the DS server and have the Job wake up and when sees the file then invoke it. But in this case
When you run scheduled jobs controlled by external applications, it is advisable that, your .net application definitely have interface to add entries to scheduler in your environment like Autosys, TWS etc. Your entry in scheduler can specify time and day of run ( can get time and day from Web interface as defined by user).

DS Basic is still behind DS engine, but advisable to come through external scheduler for enterprise schedule management. reCheck with your environment.
Sree Boyapati
Sr. ETL Architect
Certified Developer in DataStage, QualityStage, Information Analyzer.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Probably the simplest way to accomplish this is via 'at' on the ETL server since you're talking 'one time' scheduled runs. For a recurring schedule, cron. Suggest you actually schedule a generic job run wrapper script with the job particulars passed in rather than attempting to directly schedule dsjob itself.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers