Problem with # symbol in transformer stage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastage_slk
Participant

Problem with # symbol in transformer stage

Post by datastage_slk »

When I concatenate all the fields in a transformer to send it to funnel. I am using one of the field from job parameters. That field has # symbol in it.

It throws an error if that field has # symbol.

any solution for this is really appreciated.
Beginner
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you be more specific about where this "#" character appears? If it's in the data it should not be causing a problem. But if it's in a property field in the Transformer stage then it's understood to be part of a job parameter reference.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
datastage_slk
Participant

Re: Problem with # sybmol in transformer stage

Post by datastage_slk »

[quote="datastage_slk"]When I concatenate all the fields in a transformer to send it to funnel. I am using one of the field from job parameters. That field has # symbol in it.

It throws an error if that field has # symbol.

any solution for this is really appreciated.

I have to concatenate different fields in transformer. While doing so, one of the fields has # in its value. example is "group #122"

If I remove # symbol, it works fine. but how do I show this in report.
Beginner
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If that's really in the value, and the data type is Char or VarChar, then you have uncovered a bug and must report it to your support provider.

In the meantime, and as a workaround, convert the "#" to some other character that does not occur in your data (maybe Char(1)), perform the concatenation then convert back.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi,

Did you use the GUI to insert the job parameter.

The job parameters are not marked with # in transformer.

Dont use the hand coding. Rather use the GUI.

HTH
--Rich