Parameters in Sequence

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Parameters in Sequence

Post by samsuf2002 »

I have a small doubt in defining parameters in sequence.

My question is if I have a job X and which is called by a sequence A and seq A is called by seq B and so on .... say sequence Z is the main sequence which runs all sub level sequences.

So now I have to created a local parameter in Job X then do I need to define that parameter in all the sequences till main sequence Z or just defining in main sequence Z is enough ?

Any help will be appreciated.
hi sam here
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You will need to define it in all controlling sequences. Meaning from the job back up to the 'main' sequence job, any intermediate level 'sub-sequence' will need that parameter as well. Remember, it will need to be passed down from that first sequence job to the job in question through all of the steps along the way.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

Thanks for the suggestion Craig.

I noticed that my sequence is using a parameter set, so if I add the new parameter into the parameter set then it looks easy task. Although I am afraid whether I have to re define the parameter set in all the sequence to make the changes effective. :?:
hi sam here
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, someone else will need to clarify if that is a manual or automatic thing. I don't have any 8.x access.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

samsuf2002,

If you add a new parameter to a parameter set the change will be effective immediately everywhere you use the parameter set

Be aware that the assignment of the new parameter to any parameter used in a job is not automatically... all parameters in the parameter set will be available to any activity in the sequence, but you need to assign the new parameter wherever you need, if not the default value define in the job will be use

It should be easy to maintain If you add your parameter set to the main/top sequence and use regular parameters to any job or sequence underneath

I noticed that my sequence is using a parameter set, so if I add the new parameter into the parameter set then it looks easy task. Although I am afraid whether I have to re define the parameter set in all the sequence to make the changes effective. :?:[/quote]
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses