How can we move the repository for Release 8.0?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dinagiza
Premium Member
Premium Member

How can we move the repository for Release 8.0?

Post by dinagiza »

Hi.
We have an installation of Information Server 8 on AIX. Our repository resides on Oracle 10. Our Database Administrator is going to move the Oracle database that we have the repository in to another machine.
How can we say to Information Server to point to the new instance of Oracle? Is there any configuration file we need to edit?

Thank you very much.

**Note: Subject line made more descriptive - Content Editor **
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

This would be a good question to put to your support provider. Version 8 is still sufficiently new that there's not a great deal of expertise "out here" for the, shall we say, less well-documented techniques.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dinagiza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dinagiza »

Thank you, Ray.
:D
I'll forward this quest to IBM and post their answer to this forum.
dinagiza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dinagiza »

If the repository moves to another machine with the same name but different IP - the only thing you need to change is the IP address in the /etc/hosts file on your machine you have your Websphere installed on.
We checked it and it works.
In our case, the machine name changed.
We received the document from IBM that describes what exactly need to be changed.
There is a list of files in the Websphere installation directory that have a hardcoded hostname, username and password of the repository in it
We've tried the procedure the IBM send us, but it did not work.
We could connect to our Datastage jobs when there were an entry of the old hostname of the repository with the new ip address only.

So, we decided to reinstall the Datastage from scratch.
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

I need to do exactly this. Were you successful with getting a procedure from IBM that works?

dinagiza, would you mind sending me the steps that IBM gave you so I could give it a try?

I found one entry of the database repository in the WAS web console under Resources > JDBC providers > Data Sources (version 4). But after only changing this entry, I still got some errors afterwards (even though I could run a jobs for a little while).

btw, we are on version 8.1.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

FYI, I've received the procedure from IBM. I can post it here if anyone wants it.
dinagiza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dinagiza »

roblew,
Please, let know if it worked at your site.
Thank you.
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

dinagiza wrote:roblew,
Please, let know if it worked at your site.
Thank you.
FYI, it didn't work. I was informed by IBM today that the instructions sent to me were specifically for 8.0.1 and won't work for 8.1. They are checking with Engineering for instructions for 8.1.
dinagiza
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dinagiza »

Thank you, roblew.
It didn't work with 8.0.1 either...
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

I've got the 8.1 instructions from IBM (PMR 47284,004,000), and it seems like it's worked so far for our environment. Let me know if you'd like me to post the instructions (btw, does anyone know if its "legal" for me to post these things from IBM support to this forum?).
Last edited by roblew on Fri May 22, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I can't imagine there'd be a problem with that but what do I know. :?

If you do, don't post them here - I'd suggest creating a posting on the subject over in the FAQs forum, then link to them here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers