Datastage market condition

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pingu
Participant

Datastage market condition

Post by pingu »

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who are looking for a project recently, I guess you probably have the same feeling as I do. I think the demand for Datastage ( as well as other ETL / DW tools) is cooling down since the second half the 2008, maybe not as bad as other areas, but I can definitely feel the difference now. I am obviously getting less phone calls / emails, and more agents are asking super low rates. Number of postings on dice today is probably only 2/3 of the same period last year.
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

What should i say..?

Believe that there is a place for you and you will get it soon. All the best.

Fact is market is dull because of financial crisis which lead to budget cut etc
Kandy

Post by supernova2005 »

I started working on Datastage in 2002, I am not sure how bad the market will go this year , but so far I am more happy in 2009 than 2002. A friend of mine ( not myself, ok ) told me he got laid off from Ascential back then and it took him nearly 5 months to get a contract.
Marley777
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Marley777 »

Seems to be a lot of jobs in JAVA right now.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The world economic downturn in the 1990s led to a surge in data warehouse/data mart activity as businesses sought ways to focus on getting good data with which to concentrate on the strengths of their business. There is no reason, in my opinion, why the same would not be true now.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I'm seeing demand, however it is taking longer to close contracts because approval cycles are taking longer (budgets are tighter). It can mean more downtime between gigs if you aren't careful.

If you are talented, there's always a need...
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

If you're good, money is easy.
-- Eddie Felsen to the Cruiser.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Data integration will be cushioned more than other parts of IT since it is something that has to happen and some activities designed to cut IT budgets such as system decommissioning and mergers and acquisitions need data integration activities.