Regarding Joins in server jobs

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nagarjuna900
Participant

Regarding Joins in server jobs

Post by nagarjuna900 »

for joins purpose suppose we r taking two sources ... in second source first column it is showing in red mark for making the relationship.....

then suppose in my second souce primary key column only it is showing in red color for relationship.....

in detail:

i have two sources 1.dept table (deptno) primary key.
2.Emp table (empno primary key,deptno foreign key)

Dept table is first source and emp table is second source. Then in emp table we have to make relationship with dept column. but in second source primary key column only enabled for relationship....

In that case how to make relationship....

please give the solution
dr.murthy
Participant

Re: Regarding Joins in server jobs

Post by dr.murthy »

hi,

the key column in referential file(emp table) appear as a red mark until map these field with primary key of the main file.once you establish the relation ship(mapping) between this two fields,you can drag the fields for out put mapping.
D.N .MURTHY
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, it is 'showing red' where? What stage(s) are we talking about here? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The present tense plural form of the verb "to be" in English is spelled "are", not "r".

Please strive for a professional standard of written English on DSXchange. Doing so assists those for whom English is not their first language.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dr.murthy
Participant

Post by dr.murthy »

hi ,
we are just discussing about transformer stage in server jobs,while joining the the two tables by using transformer the key field(which is going to be join tables) from the master table indicating as reddish colour.
D.N .MURTHY
hamzaqk
Participant

Post by hamzaqk »

reddish color is indicating that you have'nt matched the two key columns on which you are planning to join. Or some syntax error if doing some type conversions etc. Drag and drop the key colum from master link onto the reference link column and the "reddish" color will go away.
Teradata Certified Master V2R5
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

dr.murthy wrote:we are just discussing about transformer stage in server jobs...
And where exactly is that specified in the original post?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... because it is the only way to do a join within a server job.

To nagarjuna900, we need to see an image of your Transformer stage. The only way the reference input can be red is if there is a key expression that is either missing or syntactically incorrect. Therefore, when you post the image, please ensure that the Key Expression field is widened sufficiently so that its contents are visible.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, you can join inside database stages as well. Trying to make a point about the lack of coherent details of the job design in the original post and the assumptions being made, and a weak attempt to get clarification from the OP before people went too deep into the alleged 'solution'.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Pedantically, perhaps, I regard a join specified in a database stage as not being a join done in DataStage - it's done in the database server.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Perhaps.

And with all the discussion of redness it seems *are* talking about a reference lookup in a transformer stage, but (in my best Dana Carvey George not W Bush imitation) "Try'n to make a point here, people". <waves fingers around> :wink:
-craig