Passing Prj Parameters to Job Parameters

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

psluser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Passing Prj Parameters to Job Parameters

Post by psluser »

Hi,

We have about a 100 jobs each having 6 parameters for database credentials(3 for source, 3 for target), which we use in oracle stages inside the job.

As of now we need to modify the parameters at run time in jobs or in different sequences which call these jobs. But we wish to set these parameters one time, as project level parameter and use them for all jobs. We do not want to touch any oracle stage, but just want to assign the values of project level paramter to already defined job parameters.

I tried creating a 'User Defined' env parameter throgh DS Administrator( prjTgtDb). But I am not able to pass it correctly to the job paramter. when I defined the default valur of job level paramter jpTgtDb as $prjTgtDb, it is taking the string '$prjTgtDb' and not the value of paramter.
Please suggest what syntax to follow to pass project level parameter values to job parameters, if its possible.

Thanks
DEEPTI
Participant

Re: Passing Prj Parameters to Job Parameters

Post by DEEPTI »

Use $PROJDEF for the job level default value after creating user defined environment variable in administrator(prjTgtDb).

Thanks
Deepti
psluser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by psluser »

The issue is how to pass project level parameter value to job level parameter. I defined prjTgtDb at project level and imported that to job paramter as $prjTgtDb with value as $PROJDEF. This is fine.

But I want to get the value $prjTgtDb to my job level parameter - jpTgtDb!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You don't need a separate "job level" parameter. You can use the environment variable job parameter directly anywhere you can use a "job level" job parameter.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
psluser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by psluser »

Hi Ray,

yes, I can use the env variable name. But we already close to 100jobs, each with six "job level" parameters defined. And instead of changing the oracle stages in the jobs, we want to just pass project level parameters to the job paramteres, which are already being used!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

For that you'd need a level of job control (like a Sequence job) that could pass those values to existing parameters. Otherwise you will (AFAIK) need to change the jobs to include the Project parameters, set them to $PROJDEF and then update the Oracle stages.

Pretty cookbook change and not that large of a number, I'd wager you could have finished the work in the time you're spending trying to find an "easier" way to do it. :P
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers