Data souce (DSN) using ODBC driver for Excel

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vipson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Data souce (DSN) using ODBC driver for Excel

Post by vipson »

I have a project for which the source is excel file. Excel file sits on a windows shared server. DataStage is on UNIX server. I need to read this excel file and load it into SQL server.
Someone mentioned that I could use Data souce (DSN) using ODBC driver for Excel.

Is there such thing? If so how would I create the DSN entries? Do you have any template that I can use? Or where can I find the document on this?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

To leverage a UNIX ODBC driver for Excel, you would need to purchase one as far as I know. One doesn't ship with DataStage, at least not up through the 7.x version and I don't believe that has changed in the 8.x release.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vipson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vipson »

Where can I find the documentation on this?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Data Direct - the vendors of the drivers that ship with DataStage and other drivers. There are other vendors of ODBC drivers for UNIX - use the Internet to find them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's no documentation for something that doesn't ship with the product, if you mean the ODBC driver. You can find plenty of discussion here, if that helps, by searching for "ODBC Driver for Excel" and sticking with the posts that are marked as UNIX. For example:

viewtopic.php?t=121586

Please ignore my rather confused attempt to help in it. :wink:

The process of creating a UNIX DSN is noted there as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers