Need some basic Information

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sryarraguntla
Participant

Need some basic Information

Post by sryarraguntla »

Hi Everyone,
Last edited by sryarraguntla on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YSR
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Unfortunately those are very vague question.
Resources cannot be claimed based on volume of Data. More the volume of Data, more the time the job will take to run.
I have designed a job which extracts data from sequential file passing to a Transformer and output to Sequential stage in couple of minutes.
Another look alike of the job with complex transformation took more than three days to complete!
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ETL mapping document should be prepared by business analyst. It is a simple table containing five or six columns:
  • Target Table

Target Column

Derivation

Source Table(s)

Source Column(s)

Explanatory Notes
As to your other questions, the only safe answers are "how long is a piece of string?", or "it depends". We have no idea of the complexity of the extractions, transformations or loads that are needed. For example, if you're planning on doing a lot of sorting, make sure that you have plenty of scratch disk space.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rhale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Size & Effort Estimation Model for DataStage ETL Jobs

Post by rhale »

I found this article to be helpful in estimating development time for Datastage jobs.

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/dw/soa/archi ... jobs-19406
Robert Hale
TSYS Acquiring Solutions
Amit Jaiswal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Size & Effort Estimation Model for DataStage ETL Job

Post by Amit Jaiswal »

Hi Rhale,

Could you please send "http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/dw/soa/archi ... jobs-19406" model/article on "amijai_12@yahoo.com"? I am unable to get it from the above URL since it is asking for ID/PWD.

Thanks in advance
-Amit Jaiswal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Works fine for me without any need to log in. However, the link to the "full article" has gone 404 it seems.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You do NOT edit posts to remove the original questions to try to make those helping you look foolish.

YELLOW CARD
:evil:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.