loading japanese characters through DS jobs

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sgiri1
Participant

loading japanese characters through DS jobs

Post by Sgiri1 »

Hi,

has anyone tried loading data with multi-lingual characters like japanese or chinese through DataStage jobs into Oracle DB. the data should be in a dat file. rcommend procedures to create multilingual data and loading it in DB.

thnx
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The only things you need to do are:
(a) get the NLS setting right (for example UTF-8, SHIFT-JIS)
(b) get the corresponding environment variables set correctly for Oracle

Note that you can do Japanese OR Chinese (as your question implied). Except for those characters common to the two, you can not do both in the same data field (if that's what you mean by "multi-lingual"). DataStage does provide for using a different NLS map for each field, but Oracle does not.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sgiri1
Participant

Post by Sgiri1 »

i prepare the *.dat file using textpad editor. does the font also matters? because only few fonts like arial unicode and ms mincho supports japanese characters.

i have tried with shft JIS NLS settings also but the data in DB are reproduced as error characters.(square boxes)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you're using TextPad to create the DAT file, for what purpose are you using DataStage? Are the Oracle environment variables, especially NLS_LANG, correctly set? If you are using TextPad it is unlikely that the characters are encoded using SHIFT-JIS - it is far more likely that some form of Unicode, probably some UTF-8 encoding - has been used.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sgiri1
Participant

Post by Sgiri1 »

the job has i/p as sequential file stage. it take a dat file as i/p validate it againsta an xsd an load it in db. in this case the i/p file may contain japanese characters. can u please elaborate on the NLS_Lang parameter for oracle db?