Backup of DataStage ver 8

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

aakashahuja
Premium Member
Premium Member

Backup of DataStage ver 8

Post by aakashahuja »

Hi,

I intend to device a backup plan for our DS v8 installation. But I have noticed that DS has some information in the xmeta database (DB2 in our case) although I am not sure how it all connects.
If somebody can explain me how it all connects (DS, DB2, WAS etc.) and what components should be backed up (apart from the usual project exports), it will be of great help.

Cheers
Aakash
L'arrêt essayant d'être parfait… évoluons.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If all you want to do is to back up DataStage, take an export of each project, then take a backup of the DataStage server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
stotman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Backup of DataStage ver 8

Post by stotman »

Hey Aakash

Aside from Ray's first suggestion of a dsx if you want to back up the various layers at the file level please contact IBM support - As you correctly noted there is information stored in each of the tiers (repository, ISF, Engine even the clients if your users have customized their palette's) there are also a couple of key additional things you'll need other than just the data in the repository e.g. WAS uses an encryption key etc..

This is all covered in a document called MigratingIBMInformationServer that support can provide you access to.

Cheers

Steve

p.s. please go through support so we can track who's asking for this information but any issues please cc me.
aakashahuja wrote:Hi,

I intend to device a backup plan for our DS v8 installation. But I have noticed that DS has some information in the xmeta database (DB2 in our case) although I am not sure how it all connects.
If somebody can explain me how it all connects (DS, DB2, WAS etc.) and what components should be backed up (apart from the usual project exports), it will be of great help.

Cheers
Aakash
Steven Totman
Team Lead Metadata
Product Management
Information Server
IBM
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Unfortunately the old approach of a UNIX backup is no longer sufficient with Version 8 as it has other components and metadata stored in the Information Server repository.
aakashahuja
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by aakashahuja »

I agree Arnd.... but I was just thinking it doing this way:

Backup metadata repository soon after the install (so that all the install config info is secured).

Then on regular frequencies, export projects and do filesystem backups of DS.

Backup WAS profile each time it changes.

If things go horribly wrong one fine day, then I would just:
First restore the initial backup of metadata rep so that we have a working initial-image.
Then do project imports.

Do you think this will work?
L'arrêt essayant d'être parfait… évoluons.