Nullability in Px

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yuva010
Participant

Nullability in Px

Post by yuva010 »

Hi,

There are few fields having nullable in source.
In target I have those fields nullable too. Do I need to handel those fileds, if my source value is null, in Parallel Extender?
Thanks,
Yuva.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No need to handle them at all. The only issue is when you try to write a null to a non-nullable column.
yuva010
Participant

Post by yuva010 »

Thanks,
Then why there is big issue in 'Nullability' handling in my team, I need to get it clarify...
Thanks,
Yuva.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hard to answer that question, as you haven't specified what the "issue" is. Much of the time problems are encountered in transformations, where you get warnings or error when trying functions on null values.
yuva010
Participant

Post by yuva010 »

Nope.. The second question wasn't for you...
I need to get it clarify from my team.. they are continuously asking me, how are we handling nullability in the project... and we are not handling in any way b'coz all target fileds, possible of getting null value, are nullable.
And from your answer i got clarified.. now let me ask them..
Thanks,
Yuva.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Your big issue with nulls in parallel jobs is whether you are using them in a lookup or transformation logic. If you pass a nullable source field straight through to a nullable target then you wont have a problem. If you try to run any type of Transformer trim, IF statement, compare, parse etc on it then whenever it has a null value in it you could lose that row - it could get spat out of your job. If you have nullable fields and you want to do something to them in a transformer you need to have a NullToValue around them first before you do anything else.

Unless you have profiled your data source and check the source application business rules and determined that the field is nullable but will never be null.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

yuva010 wrote:Thanks,
Then why there is big issue in 'Nullability' handling in my team, I need to get it clarify...
Did you get any chance to get it clarified?
yuva010
Participant

Post by yuva010 »

Nope yet.. but I have discussed this topic with senior architects here as well.. and they are saying we don't need such handling if our target is allowing us Null population.
But surely I'll talk with the concerned team, just to verify.
Thanks,
Yuva.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I think your team's concern is more of a 'business type' rather than technical. Get this piece clarified.
At some shops, they want insane error handling even though it does not make sense. But at the least, make sure you are capturing the records that are getting rejected by the database due to nullability, or for any reason for that matter.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.