Update to SDKSequences hungs

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Update to SDKSequences hungs

Post by paddu »

I am not sure why below command hungs in qa project executing through DSADMIN which was working absolutely fine in dev project .

UPDATE SDKSequences USING DICT VOC SET F1 = 'New_Value' WHERE @ID = 'Sequence_Name';

I am not able to update the seqname with new value .

I created the seqname using sdk/KeyMgt/KeyMgtGetNextValue .

Please suggest me .

Thanks
There is nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so. --William Shakespeare
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is something else invoking the SDK key management routine that exclusively locks its record in SDKSequences for the duration of the job run?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paddu »

Ray ,

Nothing .

My main purpose was to start a sequence 'SEQ1' with value other than 1.

Since SEQ1 never created or existed in QA project , i ran KeyMgtGetNextValue routine in QA project and gave test value as 'SEQ1' (for example ) and it returned 1. After this i see SEQ1 listed in SDKSequences.

Before this i tried running the update statement in DSADMIN and it gave message saying SEQ1 does not exist .

I have to mention, after seeing SEQ1 listed in SDKSequences, i tried updating the sequence number more than 5 times and result is the command hungs when i hit "Respond Tab".
After this i had no option other than close the whole window and come out of administrator.

1) Do you think , there is some kind of LOCK on SDKSequences?If yes, how to release ?
2) Can i delete SEQ1 from SDKSequences and use below statement to make an entry in SDKSequences table and value other than 1 ?

INSERT INTO SDKSequences(@ID,F1) VALUES(SEQ1,1000);

Please suggest.

Thanks
paddu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you've never used it you need to create SDKSequences. Run any of the SDK key management routines from its test grid as the easy way to do so.

Other than that you're right - if the sequence name does not exist in SDKSequences you will need an INSERT statement - normal SQL rules.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paddu »

Ray ,

As i mentioned earlier , now i am able to see SEQ1 in SDKSequences but when i am trying to update it with new value it ,the execute statement hungs in Administrator.

Any idea why this is happening ?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is happening because some other process holds a lock on the record in the file. If you don't know which one that could be, use another command windows or the TCL prompt and issue "LIST.READU EVERY", this is a bit complex to read but, particularly if your system isn't busy, you should be able to find out which 2 processes have that lock open. with "PORT.STATUS" you could find the pid of the "UPDATE..." command process, then cross reference that pid with the lock table.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What happens if you execute

Code: Select all

SELECT @ID, F1 FROM SDKSequenes USING DICT VOC;
?
paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paddu »

Thank you ArndW and Ray

ArndW- I did try your command "LIST.READU EVERY" and saw only one PID .

Then i tried to update the sequence name with new value and 1 record was updated in SDKSequences.

Ray - Using your command now i see the new value for the sequence name .

I do not know what happened from yesterday to today , we did not even recycle ETL box .Update statement works absolutely fine now .

Thanks
Paddu