The replacement for Version Control in Information Server

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

altis
Premium Member
Premium Member

The replacement for Version Control in Information Server

Post by altis »

We are told by IBM that in Information Server v8 the 'Version Control' application will no longer exist. Reading through dsxchange I understand that in v8.1 IBM will release a new deployment tool (as a replacement of 'Version Control'?).

Has anyone got any more details on what this deployment tool is likely to be and when 8.1 is due to be released?

IBM is somewhat reticent on its website about both the replacement of Version Control and dates for future releases of Information Server.

Many thanks,

James
Altis Consulting Pty Ltd
www.altis.com.au
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I sat in on an overview presentation of the product at the last Vegas IOD meeting, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were calling it at the moment. Hopefully I can dig up my notes and post back more information or someone else will.

I don't believe that there is any sort of 'official' date for 8.1, never mind the fact that there's no guarantee of this being in that release, only that they were "shooting for" it then.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
altis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by altis »

Thanks Craig - any info anyone has would be most useful so we can plan for what we're going to do regarding versioning/deployment if and when we upgrade to Information Server and no longer have Version Control.

IOD is on in Sydney next week so hopefully I can quiz somebody from IBM when there...
Altis Consulting Pty Ltd
www.altis.com.au
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

They were only calling it "deployment tool" at IOD 2007. And, if I recall correctly, it wasn't necessarily promised in 8.1 - maybe 8.2. It integrates with "source code control tools, like ClearCase": if you read between the lines and appreciate that ClearCase is IBM's, you may be able to simplify that phrase.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We tool the DataStage command line tools and created our own migration tool. I took the batch files that back up a project and changed them so they export a job from a list. Next it strips all shared containers using a Perl script because the export automatically exports dependent objects. Next it imports to the new server the job just exported. It then compiles the job just imported. Then it inserts a row into a SQL Server table using osql to track each job migrated. The table is called ETL_MIGRATION_HIST. Then it repeats all these steps on the next job in the list.

You could easily check into CVS or PVCS after the last step. We did not want this so we have to copy all DSX files into CVS directory. Then we check them in one step. We want to check the log file to make sure all jobs exported, imported and then compiled without errors before checking into source code control.

This is an easy change to the script DataStageBackup.bat on my web site. I can walk you through the changes.
Mamu Kim
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The version of the Deployment Tool the demoed at IOD gave you a new browser tool for the Information Server with a right mouse click menu that was straight out of Rational Clear Case - so direct check in check out etc. There are plans for an API or integration with other version control tools but that might not be in 8.1.
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

The name of it is Asset Interchange. It is promised Q3 of 2008 in release 8.1. I hear it will not be integrated with Clear Case at that time but that is the goal.
altis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by altis »

All,

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

James
Altis Consulting Pty Ltd
www.altis.com.au
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Just went to an IOD event last week and they were calling it the Software Configuration Management Integration tool (SCCS) - yeah I'm not sure how the aconym fits either. A bullet point said it would have an API for ClearCase and CVS. I think Asset Interchange is a much better name! Wonder what it will be called next month.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Guess they didn't want an acronym you would pronounce as 'Scummy'. :wink:

I would imagine it would need to change again before it goes out the door, as SCCS is a well established beastie in its' own right. :?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Double yuk on the apostrophe there! None was needed.

It's "it's" only when it's "it is"; when it's "its" (possessive) it's "its".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This is funny... I thought about fixing it after typing it for about half a second and then decided to leave it there as bait for the PPP - the Possessive Pronoun Police. Sorry, Officer, it won't happen again! :wink:
-craig

vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

As long as yourve learn't your lesson.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I've just posted the latest DataStage product roadmap and it looks like there will be a Deployment Tool coming out in the initial Q2 8.1 and an Asset Interchange Tool with source control integration with ClearCase and CVS coming out Q4 of this year.