Fast Track

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yuva010
Participant

Fast Track

Post by yuva010 »

Is there anybody who work with Fast Track for Datastage?
I have worked for Informatica SCD mapping development through the template. Is this the similar one?
Thanks,
Yuva.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Similar concept, but not a template per se. Fast Track uses a spreadsheet-like interface for source to target mapping (you can make generic expressions or use DataStage expressions in the derivations, and you can import the same from Excel, for example); Fast Track then generates DataStage jobs based on the information provided.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Fast Track comes with DataStage 7.x? What's Fast Track?
yuva010
Participant

Post by yuva010 »

Fast track is newly introduced 'toy' in word of Ray -
If you look for search on fasttrack, there is small explanatory note by Ray.
It will give you overview on it.

Is there anybody tried using fast track so far?
Thanks,
Yuva.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

lstsaur wrote:Fast Track comes with DataStage 7.x? What's Fast Track?
No.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/in ... fasttrack/
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Click on the video icon after you get there. As video's go, it's a very good one...

Good summaries above. FastTrack is about "collaboration"...with a goal of helping foster communication between business analysts and ETL developers. It can import Excel csv files containing business rule definitions (column mappings primarily), and generates Jobs....not super complex ones, but not just simple two-stagers either, as it can apply lookups, joins, and constructs Containers where possible. It's key strength is integration with Information Analyzer results, which can be used to help predict joins, but even better is the various "discovery" features it has for digging into Business Glossary and your existing meta data to help find relationships (helps do things like relate TAX_ID with SSN because they are declared as synonyms in the Business Glossary). The Jobs it generates have all of their links populated, and the rules entered by the business analyst... (such as "please calculate profit by taking the difference between revenue and expenses and multiplying by the quarterly percentage factor")...are placed inside the job in a grid of annotation boxes.

It's not a replacement for the DataStage/QualityStage Designer --- it is intended for the business analyst who is already documenting the business rules that each of us implement in DS.....

I've talked to a lot of sites about it, and while I was a bit skeptical at first, I'm amazed at how many accounts don't have any central control and management of rule development. Spreadsheets, Word documents, emails, hand written notes, yellow-stickies.....all of these and more are being used to outline transformations..... and while in some cases each of us with DS expertise might be doing the interviews and establishing the basis for rules, there are a lot of companies where it's still all done by an "industry" expert business group, and then "thrown over the fence" to the "ETL team".

The eye opener for me has been the number of accounts who are interested in FastTrack and aren't even using or committed to DataStage. It creates its own documented reports, and as noted earlier, takes good advantage of a "mature" Business Glossary.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I saw a demo of it in Vegas and thought it was pretty cool. I thought for prototyping it would be very powerful.
Mamu Kim
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

By the way BlueCross of Tenn did the demo and has been using it for a while now.
Mamu Kim