Wrapper jobs

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

saratha14
Participant

Wrapper jobs

Post by saratha14 »

Explain me about wrapper jobs which is used to kick of the child datastage jobs?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Everyone uses a different definition of a what a "wrapper job" could be. In my case I look at job sequences as wrapper jobs.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Or is there any what, in your site, you using, wrapper stage to call job in it using dsjob command??
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Sudhindra_ps
Participant

Post by Sudhindra_ps »

hi,

You could make use of External Source stage to invoke OS scripts which uses Datastage API to trigger an ETL job. Now you could use this external source stage in your parallel job canvas. This master job which invokes other Datastage jobs are called as Wrapper jobs.

Thanks & regards
Sudhindra P S
Sudhindra_ps
Participant

Post by Sudhindra_ps »

hi,

You could make use of External Source stage to invoke OS scripts which uses Datastage API to trigger an ETL job. Now you could use this external source stage in your parallel job canvas. This master job which invokes other Datastage jobs are called as Wrapper jobs.

Thanks & regards
Sudhindra P S
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Wrapper jobs used to be called "Batch" jobs. Batch jobs were the original sequences.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm still not certain what the original question means. Is it, perhaps, an interview question that you have faced?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
saratha14
Participant

Wrapper jobs

Post by saratha14 »

ray.wurlod wrote:I'm still not certain what the original question means. Is it, perhaps, an interview question that you have faced? ...
Hi ray,
In my project we are running the Datastage jobs through peoplesoft environment. I have a set of jobs in Datastage that inturn triggers someother datastage jobs. As for as understanding it could be a sequencer.

Thanks,
Saran.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A suite of job sequences is the "within DataStage" solution.

If you are using a third party scheduling tool, then you need to create some scripts based around the DataStage command line interface, the dsjob command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.