DataStage User Login

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage User Login

Post by ag_ram »

All,

I need a few clarifications for the following questions.

1. In the DataStage Server Engine directory, we could see four files such as - UV.ACCOUNT, UV.LOGINS, UV.ACCESS, UV.FLAVOUR. What each does mean out there?

2. When the DataStage user logs in to DataStage Clients(Designer, Director, Manager, Administrator), How this each system file would be interacting with other file and make the User Authentification happen internally?

3. Are we able to create short name for DataStage Users in windows and UNIX enviroment? If possible, how we can accomplish this?

4. When I changed the password for Windows login, DataStage Client does not allow me to enter into DataStage using "Omit"(I used to enter DataStage using this option before changed the password). Upto my knowledge, DataStage checks the old passeord with the new one and throws an error
"Failed to connect to host: <hostName>, project: UV (The host name specified is not valid, or the host is not responding (81011))"
Is there any way to change my DataStage password if it stores the password anywhere inside?

5. As per one of documents on UniVerse, DataStage installed on UNIX does not have System file UV.LOGINS in it. Could you please reason it.

Please clear up these question.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In version 8, which your post shows you have, few of these apply. Your login authentication is managed through the Information Server login/security service.

1. UV.ACCOUNT is one of the places where project existence and location are recorded. It is the table of record for the Administrator client's list of projects. None of UV.LOGINS, UV.ACCESS or UV.FLAVOR is used by DataStage.

2. DataStage uses operating system authentication in versions 7.5 and earlier. It does not use the files mentioned above except UV.ACCOUNT to populate the list of projects available. In version 8.0 and later the login/security is managed by an Information Server service: your authentication and credentials are checked against information recorded in the common Repository.

3. No.

4. See answer to question 2. "Omit" (authentication via LAN Manager when connecting to Windows) is no longer supported from version 8.0; you must connect via TCP/IP.

5. UV.LOGINS is used by UniVerse on Windows systems to resolve mapping between user, machine\user and domain\user. It is not, as far as I am aware, thus used by DataStage. You may care to experiment and report your results.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Thank you Ray for your answers.

Please help me resolve this below question as well.
None of UV.LOGINS, UV.ACCESS or UV.FLAVOR is used by DataStage.
Amazingly asking that If UV.FLAVOUR is not used by DataStage, Would DataStage not have any UniVerse Account flovour inside? If not, Which flavour of UniVerse Account DataStage takes for its Engine functionality?( among IDEAL, IN2, INFORMATION, PIOPEN, PICK and REALITY or none)
deanwalker
Participant

Re: DataStage User Login

Post by deanwalker »

ag_ram wrote:All,

4. When I changed the password for Windows login, DataStage Client does not allow me to enter into DataStage using "Omit"(I used to enter DataStage using this option before changed the password). Upto my knowledge, DataStage checks the old passeord with the new one and throws an error
"Failed to connect to host: <hostName>, project: UV (The host name specified is not valid, or the host is not responding (81011))"
Is there any way to change my DataStage password if it stores the password anywhere inside?
Information Server does not have the 'Omit' option on the Attach dialog.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ag_ram wrote:Amazingly asking that If UV.FLAVOUR is not used by DataStage, Would DataStage not have any UniVerse Account flovour inside? If not, Which flavour of UniVerse Account DataStage takes for its Engine functionality?( among IDEAL, IN2, INFORMATION, PIOPEN, PICK and REALITY or none)
IDEAL. No choice is offered when projects are created.

Note also that the spelling is American - it's UV.FLAVOR.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: DataStage User Login

Post by ray.wurlod »

deanwalker wrote:Information Server does not have the 'Omit' option on the Attach dialog.
See point 4 in my initial response on this thread.