NFS Drive access related question

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

NFS Drive access related question

Post by VCInDSX »

In our Windows DS Server i have a Network shared folder mapped to a drive (G: )
If i have to read a sequential file from this folder, is there anything special that needs to be setup? When I do a "Browse" on the Seq file stage, it does not show the mapped drive in the file selection dropdown for drives.

Anyhow, I keyed in the G:\Datastage\Sample\Employees.txt and tried "View Data" and it threw an error

>##E IIS-DSEE-TOIX-00049 13:19:33(000) <Sequential_File_0,0> Unable to open G:/Datastage/Sample/Employees.txt: Not a directory. [new-impexp\file_import.C:2485]

From within the DS Server I can switch to the G: drive and navigate to the folders et al.

Is there any additional configuration setting that needs to be enabled for NFS access?
-V
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I've seen this before as well. Windows access can be nasty. Do you have the same problem with Windows-mapped drives as well (probably not). What sort of NFS mount is this?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you browse, and then select My Computer, can you see your G: drive then?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

ArndW,
I first created this using Windows Explorer's "Tools/Map Network Drive" menu and assigned a network shared folder to G: drive
e.g \\machine_name\share_name

As I had issues when accessing this from datastage, I then deleted this map and created this G: using command line
NET USE G: \\machine_name\share_name password /USER:userid /PERSISTENT:YES

Ray,
I presume you are asking if I am able to see this drive when I am residing on the DS Server box. Yes, I can see this drive in "My Computer" and also navigate to the folders. This drive is visible when created using both the above techniques.

If I were to try out the same in LINUX, will I require Admin privileges? I am not conversant with LINUX, I would appreciate your input. Eventually we will be doing this NFS drive access in LINUX as well.

Thanks for your time and help,
-V
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, I was actually asking about when you are browsing for a directory (folder) within the View Data dialog or the response to a pathname-type parameter dialog.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

Ray,
Thanks for the followup.

The mapped drive letter does not show up in the "View Data Dialog" or when i use a paramater for this file name as type "pathname".

To add, I also created a SUBST H: G:\Sample on the DS Server for testing and it created a substituted drive for a folder under the G: drive. But I am not able to see that folder either from the datastage file properties.

Any thoughts on the LINUX side of things...?

Thanks again,
-V
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Linux, like other variants of UNIX, seems less bothered about NFS-mounted disks (except during installation and for some administrative capabilities) than Windows. Provided, that is, that you leave the uvconfig parameter ALLOWNFS at its default value (which allows access to NFS-mounted file systems).
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

Ray,
I checked the unconfig in our LINUX server and it has ALLOWNFS 1

Is it safe to presume that it is an Admin level task to mount a network drive? I am not an admin on the LINUX box.

Any special settings to keep in mind when I request our Linux Admins to create this mount for our project?
  • - Automount this drive/folder when system is restarted
    - Any timeout issues that Datastage could run into
    - Other issues from your past experience will be much helpful.
If you/anyone have any further insights into the Windows box, i would appreciate it as well. I am researching it on my end and will post any update when I make any progress.

Thanks for your time
-V
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Basically try it and see. Automount is a good plan - it avoids unnecessary manual intervention. Default timeouts are usually ample for anything DataStage does. I
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

Ray,
Thanks for the inputs.
The network folder got mounted through a different request from another teammate in our LINUX server. For now I am going to use that for my development. I need to check with the folks here to find out what settings were made to the mount options.

When I have some spare time I will come back to the Windows DS Server.

Thanks,
-V