Data Mirror

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bi_fujitsu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Data Mirror

Post by bi_fujitsu »

Hi,

Our client is using data mirror in version 8. Want to know, what data mirror is used for? Is it the replacement of CDC stage? I still have not seen datastage version 8, going next week to client's place for development. Before that I want an overview about data mirror.
I would appreciate some response!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

DataMirror was just recently acquired by IBM and is not {yet} integrated into DataStage. See DataMirror.Com's website for details on the product's functionality.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

In fact, there's been a significant amount of development to integrate DataMirror and DataStage, with a special Operator developed and a special version of DataMirror Transformation Server specifically for DataStage. It creates subscriptions that are ready-made for DataStage, with the ability to have direct connections or flat file methods of communicating changed data. The integration is very nice, as it automatically generates Jobs, complete with link meta data for your subscribed columns, a Job Sequence to run things and clean-up afterwards. The changed data contains transaction type and has options for before/after pictures of any rows. There's more to be done, but this was a stellar effort to illustrate how the tools can be used together. I may not have the name exactly right, but I believe it's being called Information Server CDC. DataMirror itself has some very performant log monitoring capabilities for identifying changes, with a lot of options for how you specify what exactly needs to be captured.

CDC has been something established in conjunction with DataStage for a long time (using varoius user-home-grown, partner, and in-house solutions), but never with this level of sophistication. The offering is already GA.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ernie - Would it be possible for you to check on the product name and GA status? I was talking about DataMirror with 2 IBMers a couple of days ago who said that engineering was working on it andy they weren't aware that so much progress had been made.

I just searched IBM's website but didn't find any relevant pages, either.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I saw a demo at IOD in October last year of Data Mirror providing CDC data to DataStage jobs - probably an early version of what Ernie is talking about. It certainly makes all other Information Server change data capture options irrelevant - especially as most of them are overpriced.

You can still build your own CDC using parallel stages and SQL filters based on date fields.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

The name is right, or very close, and it is definitely GA. I've been playing with it, many of us have been introduced to it, and have seen it... it's formally part of Information Server.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

The name is right, or very close, and it is definitely GA. I've been playing with it, many of us have been introduced to it, and have seen it... it's formally part of Information Server.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Here's the link....it was very impressive how quickly this first integration was put together... in time for the completion of the acquisition. The document that this link leads to was put up on February 1st.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sw-libr ... 97E93.html

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Thanks for the link, Ernie!

(well, sort of thanks, I can't get to the pages. I applied for an IBM id a while ago and was denied. When I responded by asking "why?" I never got an answer so gave up)
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Hi Arnd... I'm not sure why the description piece for that requires userid access.... it has an option to not have an id but just to fill out the form...did that work? It's just a short product description ....technically, it's still DataMirror... go to the direct site for that... www.datamirror.com ....As for the DataStage interface, there's a special option to create a subscription for DataStage, which then generates a .dsx based on that subscription and then has several job execution options. The .dsx generates a job that uses a new DataMirror connector. So you get the high quality change capture from logs that DataMirror is well known for, along with a direct plugin and pre-loaded meta data that takes away the manual headaches of a lot of other older solutions. I was very impressed with what I've seen so far, especially with the time that it was delivered in... I know there is more that can be done for messaging interfaces, etc., but so far it looks like it has a lot of potential. I'm staying on the technical side of it for now and not familiar with what the pricing is or will look like.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Hi Arnd... I'm not sure why the description piece for that requires userid access.... it has an option to not have an id but just to fill out the form...did that work? It's just a short product description ....technically, it's still DataMirror... go to the direct site for that... www.datamirror.com ....As for the DataStage interface, there's a special option to create a subscription for DataStage, which then generates a .dsx based on that subscription and then has several job execution options. The .dsx generates a job that uses a new DataMirror connector. So you get the high quality change capture from logs that DataMirror is well known for, along with a direct plugin and pre-loaded meta data that takes away the manual headaches of a lot of other older solutions. I was very impressed with what I've seen so far, especially with the time that it was delivered in... I know there is more that can be done for messaging interfaces, etc., but so far it looks like it has a lot of potential. I'm staying on the technical side of it for now and not familiar with what the pricing is or will look like.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!