Import Project from Project Directory

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PhilipDuPlessis
Participant

Import Project from Project Directory

Post by PhilipDuPlessis »

hi,

We had to rebuild our server due to a failure. Fortunately, our project directory was on a different drive letter and was not impacted by the failure. Would anyone know how to rebuild your project from the project directory? We do not have any .dsx files available

Please can anyone help us on this one as we are a bit stuck

:?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

There is no recommended straight forward method. Still the simple method I often follow is, create a new project. And delete all the content in side the project directory. Copy the Content of the existing directory to the new project directory.
Now you can see the jobs in Designer and manager.
But some step that I would recommend out of my bitter experience is, As soon as you could assess the jobs in client, do a full export of the project, and Create a new another project and import it. And Delete the Project created earliar.
Because the project created using this shorcut method was not stable at all. Some how it affects the other related projects as well.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There is no need to do much if your original project was not broken. In your new server just add the project name and the existing path and DataStage will detect the existing project and keep the contents.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

ArndW wrote:There is no need to do much if your original project was not broken. In your new server just add the project name and the existing path and DataStage will detect the existing project and keep the contents.
Sounds so simple :!: I would try the next time.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's probably not that simple. You may need to update the schema name in the copied project using VERIFY.SQL and to rebuild the indexing on the Repository using DS.REINDEX. But do let us know whether it runs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PhilipDuPlessis
Participant

Post by PhilipDuPlessis »

Thank you for your feedback. Re-indexing the projects resolved the problem
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then it's time to mark this discussion of the problem as 'Resolved' as well, yes? :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nisusmage »

Hello All,

This didn't work for me.
I had the same problem. I had to rebuild the entire server. DB2 and Datastage. I have the project folders intact.

I've tried:
1) Create a new project in the old directories location and over write the contents and then DB.REINDEX ALL and/or DS.TOOLS. However, I still don't have any jobs or any structure in the project.

2) Create a the project and point to the same old location where the files where created and the error message is that the Job already exists in that location..

What am I doing wrong ?

The next step is to try restore the XMeta data in DB2, but this is proving to be difficult as well..

Please HEeeelp me ..
~The simpliest solutions are always the best~
~Trick is to understand the complexity to implement simplicity~
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Version 8 is rather different, as you have observed. The big problem is that your design time metadata are also stored in the XMETA database, and there's no convenient way to restore that from your backup files.
Even ignoring that, if you restore to a different location, you are going to need to effect repairs to UV.ACCOUNT, the DataStage/SQL Catalog (that is, to the DataStage "system tables", and to the indexes on the DataStage local Repository (as well as updating all pertinent XMETA entries). You really do need to involve your support provider - there are too many steps to try to explain it all here or by email/PM.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nisusmage »

If I have the XMeta data backup from db2, do you think that I could restore the DB2 DB ? And thereby restoring the Projects data.
~The simpliest solutions are always the best~
~Trick is to understand the complexity to implement simplicity~
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's worth trying, of course, particularly if you believe you've lost that metadata from XMETA.

Without performing a physical inspection, however, it's impossible to determine what's missing and what's not. That's why you need to involve your local support provider.