ETL Synopsis

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kumar_j12
Participant

ETL Synopsis

Post by kumar_j12 »

Hi,

Can any body worked on ETL Synopsis tool.
Any idea about this
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... this isn't SynopsisXchange. What are you trying to find out? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

They were acquired by Oracle and the product is now known as Oracle Data Integrator and is part of their Fusion middleware. It's an ELT tool as it runs most of the transformation inside database engines using generated code. Check the Oracle website and forums for more details.
kumar_j12
Participant

Hi

Post by kumar_j12 »

Hi thks for your reply,

How good is it when you compare with datastage and informatica
One more question,I am datastage consultant working from last 2 years now i am undergoing training on IBM Information server suite(IA,DS,QS,AS) will it be add advantage for my future career or i need to shift to the informatica for better job vacancy

THKS IN ADVANCE
vmcburney wrote:They were acquired by Oracle and the product is now known as Oracle Data I ...
kumar_j12
Participant

Hi

Post by kumar_j12 »

Hi thks for your reply,

How good is it when you compare with datastage and informatica
One more question,I am datastage consultant working from last 2 years now i am undergoing training on IBM Information server suite(IA,DS,QS,AS) will it be add advantage for my future career or i need to shift to the informatica for better job vacancy

THKS IN ADVANCE
vmcburney wrote:They were acquired by Oracle and the product is now known as Oracle Data I ...
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Hi

Post by gateleys »

Why consult if you are so concerned about job security? Why not get a full time position with some company? The fact that you are consulting for the last 2 years implies that you have substantial experience in datawarehouse and related areas in the years previous to that. For a guy with such solid experience, I don't think a mere tool can give such a fright, and you definitely should not have that fear about being jobless.
gateleys
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Right now I am seeing maybe 20% more jobs on the Australian job boards for Informatica over DataStage. A couple years ago Ascential-DataStage had overtaken Informatica. I suspect it's because IBM professional services is so big.
On Seek I get 69 Informatica NOT DataStage roles, 45 DataStage NOT Informatica roles, 42 DataStage AND Informatica roles. So at least half the DataStage recruiters out there mention Informatica and DataStage in the same job advert and consider those skills interchangable - which is true for entry level roles or team members but not true for team leads and experts. It doesn't hurt to know both as you can use your DataStage experience to get Informatica roles and vice versa - but to get the bigger dollars you have to be an expert in the tool and it may be hard building up expertise in both.
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

And while you're at it :D try out Talend (http://www.talend.com) and Kettle (http://kettle.pentaho.org), open source ETL tools. They're going to get away with a big chunk of DataStage/Informatica/OWB market share in a year to a couple of years.

The bigger bucks are going to be in the architecture anyway... which tool you use is only going to be an afterthought. If you've got the basics (grin) right, the rest is less relevant.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.