Is there a manual about the usage of commands and tables?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wbjk
Participant

Is there a manual about the usage of commands and tables?

Post by wbjk »

I have worked in a bank for one year . My company use the Datastage to do everydays ETL wok .And I found myself knowing very little about datastage.

1.I just know two commands :dsadmin ,dsjob(I am familiar with these two commands )
2.After typing uv, I can use LOGTO ,SELECT ,and so on(I know very little about the inner tables and the gramma)

You know,my mother language is not english . It takes too much time to cover all the manuals and the info on web.

I think there maybe a manual or some materials telling us what the commands are , how to use them ,what the inner table are and what is the usuage of each column.

Can someone show me some links or tell me what and where the manual are?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As a beginner, there's really no need for you to be intimately familiar with the repository tables. Sure, you should know they exist but nothing in what you need to do, day over day, will require you to manipulate or query them in any fashion. The structures of these tables are specifically not published by the vendor and there is no manual detailing 'the usage of each column'.

In the IBM online Library there are several 'Universe' manuals that can be enlightening and are valid for use with DataStage. However, the manuals you should be most concerned with are the ones you already have - the pdf documents in your PC's 'Docs' folder where you installed DataStage. Have you read those?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bradatschs
Participant

Post by bradatschs »

I have had a look at the IBM website for Universe Documentation. Im trying to evaluate the equivalent of "SELECT LENGTH(TIMESTAMP) FROM RT_LOG1234", seems there is no quick way of finding the length of values.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In the UniVerse SQL Reference Guide (or simply from knowing SQL standards) you would find that the correct function name is CHAR_LENGTH.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bradatschs
Participant

Post by bradatschs »

Thanks Ray this works. For any body who requires the documentation it's HERE ==> http://publibfi.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/25126350.pdf
wbjk
Participant

Post by wbjk »

Thanks bradatschs!
The document you mentioned is quite useful.
http://publibfi.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/p ... 126350.pdf

I am eager to know the some other usful commands such as: dsjob, dsadmin, uv . Can someone tell me someting about that?
bradatschs
Participant

Post by bradatschs »

wbjk wrote:Thanks bradatschs!
I am eager to know the some other usful commands such as:dsjob,dsadmin,uv . Can someone tell me someting about that?
Open the pdf documents file in "C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage7.5.1\Docs" directory and do a "search all documents" for the above mentioned commands.
wbjk
Participant

Post by wbjk »

bradatschs wrote:
wbjk wrote:Thanks bradatschs!
I am eager to know the some other usful commands such as:dsjob,dsadmin,uv . Can someone tell me someting about that?
Open the pdf documents file in "C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage7.5.1\Docs" directory and do a "search all documents" for the above mentioned commands.
I knows the usuage of these three commands. I mean I want to know other commands. :wink:
datastagepals
Participant

Post by datastagepals »

U have several hundred ds commands in the server job developers guide in the DS documents. Gothrough it.
DS WIZ