Swapping Projects

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Swapping Projects

Post by chulett »

I'm curious if anyone has done this before and if there are any hidden gotchas. Specifically...

I have an old Version Control project that I want to put out to pasture. Rather than just create and use a new one, I was thinking I could play a little game. Create a new Project of the same name with a "_OLD" suffix and then connected to it via VC so it would add the internal hashed files that it needs in the account. Then a little Three Card Monty:

Code: Select all

mv A X
mv A_OLD A
mv X A_OLD
I know that VC will think everything is OK because of the APM hashed files that carry the VC information. However, the actual objects are all cataloged in the original Project so I know something would need to be done there - could a sql statement be used to update the project name everything is cataloged under or is this just too much hassle to make this worth my while?

Thanks.

Note that this is a generic 'project' question and not specific to Version Control even though I used a VC Project as an example.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There would be an issue with the indexes; you would need to DS.REINDEX ALL in both projects after all the mv commands. Also, DataStage would still have recorded in its "system tables" the old names at their old locations, which would need to be corrected by updating UV.ACCOUNT and by using VERIFY.SQL. And, of course, your mv commands would need to be recursive - that is, specify the -r option.

Apart from that your proposal ought to work. From memory pathnames are not recorded within Version Control projects. If that turns out not to be the case, these hashed files are completely described in terms of their metadata, so you should be able to effect appropriate UPDATE statements.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks for the information, Ray. Now I just need to decide if I really want to go through with this exercise. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers